What's new

PS2 and network adapter (1 Viewer)

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Well I am finally breakin down and I am going to buy a ps2. Just need to know weather I should get a ps2 with a network adapter(its only $30 more) or not.

A few questions:

What do you need to hook it all up?
Do you have to pay any monthly fees to play online?
Do specific games charge monthy rates?
Is it worth it?

Can anyone share their experiences with online play.

Thanks.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Mike,

If you want to use the Ethernet part of it, you can just hook it up to your cable modem/DSL modem, or off of your router to have it share your internet connection.

There are currently no monthly fees to play games online with the PS2 with the exception of Everquest, which . (I think this is the only one)

Is it worth it? If you're going to be a person that is going to play sports games or games like Socom, I would say that it is worth it. I'm about to "rebuy" my PS2, my original is going wonky so the replacement plan I purchased with Best Buy is going into effect, and I'm intending to pick up the version with the Network adapter so I can play NCAA online if I feel so inclined.

Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Get the Network Adapter one. You're saving some money, and you could always E-bay the adapter if you don't want it.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
If you decide to go online, you might want to check your local EB store, if you have one. Ours has Datel's "GO Net" network adapter marked down to $14.99. I bought one, even though I was concerned about compatability with all games, but everything I've tried, including Madden and NCAA, has worked fine with it. It's broadband only, not dial-up, but other than that it seems to do the same job as the Sony, for a lot less. So a PS2 and GO Net would be cheaper than even the broadband adapter/PS2 package if you wanted to go online.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
BTW, Sony is now giving you ATV Offroad Fury 2 with the purchase of the Network Adapter PS2 Console.

Not bad, for $20 bucks difference you get the adapter and a game to use it.

Glen

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, I decided to hold off on the network adapter for now, instead I opted for optimal hometheater hookups. Besides I need a little practice with Madden 2004 anyway, havent played a madden game since 2001.

Hopefully the price of a network adapter drops by the time I want to pick one up, currently theyre $60 in Canada. Damn peripherals are way to expensive :angry:

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
Hey, I just purchased the adapter last friday and no one mentioned that it came with a free game. How do I find out more?

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Billy,

The promotion just started this week. I haven't seen anything in stores about it, but Sony said that it started this week. There were articles at CNet and a few other places.

You should be able to return yours... or just get them to give you the game.

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks