What's new

PS2 and Dolby Digital (Newbie Question!) (1 Viewer)

AndrewDavid

Auditioning
Hello all! I'm new to the forum, but I hope you can help me out with my question!

I recently bought a Sony HTIB (HT-DDW740 Receiver w/sub and 5 speakers) and am temporarily using my PlayStation 2 as my primary DVD player. I bought an optical cable to run the digital audio signal from my PS2 to the Video 2 input on my receiver. I also switched the audio out in the PS2 menu to "optical out" and the signal gets their fine... but uses Dolby Pro Logic to decode it, even when playing movies with the Dolby 5.1 option chosen!

I tried (what I think is) everything. Such as changing the "autodetect", "mode", etc. But that damn little "D DIGITAL" or "DTS" never lights up... all I see is the "PRO LOGIC" and "OPT" (for optical source signal). Can somebody please help me? Thanks so much in advance!

...and Happy Thanksgiving!

Andrew

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

I don't have a PS2- but most DVD players have a digital audio option in addition to selecting the output. Once the digital output is selected- many DVD players have an option to pass DD/DTS as a native bitstream or to convert it to a 2 channel PCM stream for older receivers which can't handle the dolby/dts signal.

I'm sure a PS2 owner might pipe up about this-- but in the meantime- I'd look for a setting for digital audio output-- might toggle between Bitstream/PCM... make sure it's on bitstream.

-V

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I have the same question as Andrew. Can anyone helps us? Thanks!!!

Hugo

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Vince is correct, I can't get to my PS2 at the moment but you must go into the menue and select between Dolby Digital and PCM.;)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure exactly what else you've tried since you dropped into this thread in the middle... but make sure:
1) The player (PS2 in this case) is connected to the receiver with a digital connection. I would suggest disconnecting the red/white analog audio cables- just to make sure.
2) The player has the digital output enabled and set to pass the data as BITSTREAM and not pcm (some just have a toggle for DD and DTS ON/OFF- make sure it's on). Double check. Triple check.
3) The digital input on the receiver is assigned to the proper input and is enabled. Make sure the receiver shows a DIGITAL signal is coming in.
4) The disc in the player actually has a 5.1 soundtrack. Not all DVDs have 5.1 tracks- and "dolby digital" doesn't mean 5.1. Make sure you have gone to the setup menu and selected the 5.1 sountrack.
5) All processing it turned off. Some receivers allow you to apply some processing to 5.1 material- make sure the receiver is set to playback the native format.

-Vince

AndrewDavid

Auditioning
EUREKA!!!

Yes... there is an option on the PS2 (which, strangely enough, you can only access while a DVD is inserted) allowing you to change the Dolby Digital to "ON" and the DTS to "ON". Changing the output to optical was not enough. Now it sounds awesome! Thanks for the advice!

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks