PS2 and 16x9

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Bart, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mike Bart

Mike Bart Auditioning

What does the 16x9 setting in the PS2 menu do. I changed to this setting and all it appeared to do was add black bars to the top and bottom of the menu selections in the set-up portion of the PS2. Is it necessary to have this on 16x9 if I have a widescreen tv? My daughter got the PS2 for Christmas and we have Jax and Dexter, Tarzan, and Kalona. The Kalona game and the Jax and Dexter have a 16x9 setting which I did also change. I guess my question is as to whether the change in the PS2 menu actually does anything other than change the look of the menu.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

From what I understand, (since I don't have a 16x9 TV, but am fairly certain I've got a grasp on this)

Flipping the switch to 16x9 in the menu on the PS2 will make DVD's appear "stretched" for TV's that are 16x9. If a game has an option for 16x9, like Jak and Daxter, it may make the image looked stretched if you have a standard TV. Some games may also have a widescreen mode, that just adds bars to the top and bottom, but it shouldn't be stretched on a standard TV.

I don't think it has to be cut on if you have a widescreen TV, but I think most people with widescreen televisions do, because standard material will look distorted to them.

Maybe someone can better flesh this out for you with a 16x9 TV and a copy of Jak and Daxter...

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The setting in the menu is most likely just for the DVD player. If you have a 4x3 TV, you shouldn't set it for 16x9.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

All 16x9 does is make the menus for the PS2 16x9. It doesn't affect gameplay at all.