PS2 5.1 audio setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BryanKray, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BryanKray

BryanKray Auditioning

Hi,

I am trying to set up a Playstation 2 with my new home theater set up. My receiver is a Panasonic SA-HE200. I am using Monster component video cables and digital audio cable to hook up the PS2 into the receiver. Because my receiver only has two component video inputs (1 for DVD and 1 for TV), I have used the TV IN for my PS2 and Optical1 position for the digital audio in. This works, but I can only get sound out of two speakers and I don’t know how to change this. When I watch DVDs, the receiver lights up the Dolby Digital light under the multi decoder display and shows that input is digital with sound mode set to surround. It also displays images of the speakers in use with all of them lighting up (L, C, R, SL, and SR). When I switch the receiver to TV to play PS2, the Dolby Pro Logic II light is lit under the multi decoder display and sound only comes from the L and R speakers. The games that I have tried to use are Madden 2003 and Frontline. Pasted below is a clip from a review of frontline from Gamestop. I thought I would test out the audio with this game, but I can’t seem to get my receiver to use all of the speakers. I have selected Dolby surround in the game, but that does not really do anything. Is there something I am missing??

Thanks Bryan

“If there is one aspect of Medal of Honor Frontline that is absolutely perfect, it's the audio. Frontline has some of the best music and sound effects of any game, on any console, or on any gaming platform for that matter. The Medal of Honor series is already well known for its top-notch audio, and Frontline only adds to that reputation. The masterful score by composer Micheal Giacchino is rousing to say the least, with title music that would be right at home in a Hollywood film. It's very reminiscent of the music found in HBO's Band of Brothers miniseries and underscores the action of the game perfectly. In some levels, it can be a driving force, while in others it can be an ambient backdrop that fits the atmosphere like a comfortable glove. The sound effects are also great. Every gunshot, engine drone, footstep, and scream is crystal clear. The voice acting is also very well done, with good performances all around. If you stop and watch characters as they speak, you'll even see that their lips are almost perfectly in sync with the speech. All of the German soldiers speak in German as well. In a few instances, you can even eavesdrop on full conversations, which are subtitled when spoken in a foreign tongue. The game also supports Dolby Surround sound for those with the appropriate equipment. This game will undoubtedly be a treat for those wanting to show off their expensive home theaters.” (gamestop.com)

2. Don

Don Second Unit

bestbuy does show instructions on how to do this on their web site. if it is still a problem i'll call sony but your receiver does have to have a Dolby-Digital Built in Decoder. Don,

3. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

You probably did, but have you enabled the "Dolby Digital" choice in the PS2 system setup? I know you said that it is fine with DVDs, but I wasn't sure if you're playing them from your PS2 or a dedicated DVD player.

MOH Frontline for the PS2 is NOT in 5.1 (very few PS2 games are, some are in DTS). It does use surround extensively, but it's not a true 5.1 game. You sould be able to get plenty of surround sound, but the Dolby Digital light shouldn't light up during this game.

Do you get any surround sound, or none at all? If you do get surround sound, but no light, then everything is fine...I think.

4. BryanKray

BryanKray Auditioning

Hi,

Don- I looked at that PDF on the BestBuy web site (Thanks) but that is pretty much how my PS2 is hooked up now. Component Video into receiver and Digital audio into receiver.

Rob- Yes, I think I did enable Dolby Digital. I will check again tonight, though. I know the setting, if I remember correctly, was Digital Audio set to either on or off. I don’t actually recall if it said anything about Dolby per se or if that is another setting altogether. I know that in Frontline, I enabled Dolby surround. As for surround sound, I don’t get any. Sound only comes out of the Left and Right speakers. Nothing comes out of the satellites or the center channel. The DVD player is a dedicated player, I believe its Panasonic as well, and I have not tried using a DVD in the PS2.

Thanks Bryan

5. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Definetly try a DVD in the PS2--that will probably answer a lot of questions. If it plays in 5.1 under the current settings, I'd be pretty confused. Hopefully, the setup setting is not right, but keep us updated on your progress (I hate when stuff like this happens--you get all excited about a new toy, then.....).

6. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Bryan, make sure you press the "digital input" button on the front of the receiver to activate DD mode. (It will remember this setting on consequent power-ups.) Out of the box, I believe the unit defaults to DPL II.

It took me a while to figure out how to get the Xbox, PS2 and a DVD player to default to DD and my GameCube to come up in DPL II. With all the variations of DD, DPL II, DTS and DTS EX this thing can do, it's confusing as hell, and Panasonic's new "pictograph" style documentation sucks big time! How I miss the good old days of plain English manuals...

7. BryanKray

BryanKray Auditioning

Hi Gary,

Thanks. I will give that a try when I get home to see if it makes a difference. I did notice that when I put in GTA-Vice city, the receiver would enter DTS mode. That game works well. I just assumed that other PS2 games ran under DPLII, but if you have managed to get DD with PS2 then I guess there is hope. I agree the manual is not all that helpful. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks again

8. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Bryan, stop wracking your brain on this matter, PS2 doesn't do Dolby Digital while "in game", only on the cinemas on games that support Dolby Digital (MGS2 and The Bouncer to name a few). The most that you'll get out of any PS2 game is DPL2 with possibly one of the best implemenations can be witnessed in Pro Race Driver. Now, as far as you problem with DPL2 only outputting sound through your left and right channels exclusively, that sounds like a problem with your receiver.

9. Mike Janke

Mike Janke Auditioning

This looks to be the thread most similar to the problem I am experiencing. I am using a Panasonic SA-HE70. I have the PS2 connect with an optical cord. When playing games or watching DVDs only the L & R speaker lights are lit and it says its playing in Pro Logic II. I've tried all sorts of different settings but can't get it to work with all the speakers in Dolby Digital or DTS. Any suggestions?

10. BryanKray

BryanKray Auditioning

Hi Mike,

I have the Panasonic SA-HE200 and I am quite new at this, as this is my first home theater setup. I do have a couple problems that I have been unable to fix, but have given up on them for the moment. As for the PS2, I had a similar problem, but it was apparently working. If I put in Frontline, it shows left and right speaker with dolby pro logic II lit up, however if I remember correctly sound does come out of all the satellites as well. Will check that again tonight. If you have Vice City, that game has a spot where you can select DTS audio. I did that and sure enough the receiver kicked into DTS mode and all speakers show up on the screen. You may want to test your system with that game and see what happens. As for the DVD portion, I have a dedicated DVD player and have never used the PS2 as a player. Hope this helps.

Bryan

11. Don

Don Second Unit

Mike and Bryan what kind of speakers and sub do you have with these receivers. Don,

12. BryanKray

BryanKray Auditioning

Hi Don,

I have POLK Audio speakers. They are the RM6600 set, if i remember correctly.

thanks Bryan.

13. Mike Janke

Mike Janke Auditioning

It's one of my roommates' system. It's a Mitsubishi 5.1 package. They are all rated at 60W Max even though the receiver can output 100W per channel. Not really sure about the model number. They sound pretty decent, I probably would have gone with something a little more powerful.