What's new

Prozac Nation (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Miramax has had it on a shelf for years. It's been scheduled for theatrical release several times and then pulled each time. Maybe they'll dump it to DVD some day, but I wouldn't count on that anytime soon.

M.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it is. I checked and none of the Canadian DVD sites are listing it.

There is some confusion that, since it played the Toronto film fest a few years ago that it opened in Canada. But, it never got a release, either theatrically or on video.

You can find Russian and Korean DVDs on Ebay (of questionable rights I would guess) and I think it is available for rental only in the UK, but no R1 release.

I've been waiting to see the film for a while, having read the book years ago. Very curious how it turned out (even though it got a lot of negative reviews)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Berardinelli's review is about a year old. He mentions that the film is finally getting a chance to be seen, but I believe it was pulled again after he wrote it. It certainly never made it to Houston.

I've been waiting for this one and Ripley's Game for what seems like ages. At lease the latter is out on DVD today.

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
It's coming out on Dutch R2 in April (24th I believe) with loads of special features - a bare bones full screen (but uncut) is out in R5 Russia. Check out ebay or some hard to find international sites, I've been waiting for it too and am going with the loaded R2 Dvd come April!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
FYI,I know some people want to see this, just saw its scheuled for July5 in R1

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
PROZAC NATION "premiered" on Starz in April, and may still be airing. It's easy to see why it bypassed theatrical release--it's an aimless and thoroughly routine coming-of-age story, with the Prozac angle shoehorned into the story in the last 15 minutes--maybe less easy to figure out why it took Miramax four-five years to do something with it. It's a rental at best unless you really love Ricci, who's OK in the film.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Apparently you didn't watch the movie, or just didn't pay attention. "Prozac" is only mentioned in the final scene, but the entire movie is completely about clinical depression. This is a completely different phenomena from the state of "being depressed" most people think of. I admit, it is easily misunderstood, judging by most of the sparse reviews. On the other hand, for anyone with any personal experience of the topic, it can prove astonishing in how well it hits so many points. My jaw literally dropped during many scenes.

I saw it on an R2 NTSC Japanese DVD. I would link to my review, but I seem to be singled out as not being allowed to do so. Instead, anyone interested can simply search for it at the Movie Review Query Engine.

Bob, sorry if I have been harsh, and I understannd your inability to understand this film. It may not be as good as the book, but it does an admirably good job of trying to demonstrate an almost incomprehensible topic.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw it on Starz.I didnt think it was great but I didnt think it was bad either, so Im kind of in the middle about it.

Juan C

Second Unit

Most gratuitously titillating cover artwork since Kubrick's Fear and Desire :D

I've seen the movie (Scandinavian DVD), and my opinion mirrors that of James Berardinelli, especially as regards the robotic Anne Heche.

Then again, there are far worse movies that get a wide distribution.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is an excellent review, and that is one crappy cover. This movie is not about titilation. I disagree with Berardinelli on 2 points. I think Heche was very good, and I do think Lange goes a bit overboard in one or two scenes.

It's not surprising Miramax has not released the movie. Judging by that cover, they have no idea what it is. It reminds me of the original cover for The Rapture. Also, the few reviews out there demonstrate that not many critics understand the movie either.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
John Rice: I know the difference between "being depressed" and clinical depression, I have seen the latter up close, and, no, it isn't pretty. So I didn't like the movie, big deal. I don't mind you liking the film (there's no accounting for taste, good or bad) but, really, there's no reason for you to single me out for personal attack, then scurry away from it on the basis of my "ignorance." Bad form.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
If someone can read Swedish and knows how to get Scandinavian DVDs to the US, I would like to purchase this title, along with the Scandinavian SE of Boondock Saints. I havent been able to find a site that will ship either here though! :frowning:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mike, isn't that SE of Boondock Saints also available in the UK? Prozac Nation comes out in the US on 7/5 so I'd think it makes more sense to just wait a month for it.

Bob...
1) It's not a "coming of age" story. That's fundamentally not what the story or movie is about. If this is a coming of age story, then every story ever written about a person under the age of, say, 25 is a coming of age story.

2) The entire story, from the beginning scene to the final scene, is about Elizabeth's condition. The fact that she does not take medication until toward the end in absolutely no way means it was "shoehorned" into the story.

3) I didn't "scurry" away anywhere.

Go ahead and not like the movie, but the reasons you gave have no validity. There are certainly problems in it. The narrative is occasionally choppy for starters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks