Prozac for Dogs?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Terry Hansen, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

I have a situation with my female 7 year old Labrador Retriever. I've tried taking her camping with us a few times and it was extremely stressful for all of us. She will not calm down the entire time, as she is absolutely obsessed with squirrels. She basically barks, growls and shakes the entire time. She paces most of the night and then begins barking/growling/vibrating with the first squirrel chatter in the morning.

The easy solution would be to kennel her but we fear she would experience separation anxiety. My wife thinks we should put her on some sort of depressant for the duration of a camping trip or at least the evenings. I've tried extra exercise before and during the trip to no avail.

I'm not really in favor of medication, but I agree it may be as stressful for her in a kennel for a weekend or more. Anyone had this problem or can anyone suggest a solution?

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hehe, sounds about normal [​IMG]

to answer the question yes, they prescribe antidepressants to dogs, my mom had a little yapper type dog that liked to bite so the vet put her on puppy prozac. I don't know if it would be appropriate in your case, but it's probably worth talking to your vet.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

If you don't wanna leave her at a kennel, maybe you could leave her with a family member or friend that the dog is familiar and friendly with. I've heard about dogs being prescribed drugs too, but am not sure if they are apropriate here. Definitely talk to your vet.

4. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i think it's unfortunate but dog's are being prescribed meds for behavior by vets. i've seen them prescribe for separation anxiety and depression. it certainly worth while to talk with you vet about it but i would be really reluctant to do it for my pet.

5. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately we don't have any family near by that could help out.

I'm going to talk to the vet but I really don't think I want to sedate my dog to go camping. Maybe we'll have to try the kennel option and she how she handles it. Those damn squirrels!

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Our older Dalmatian has become very scared of loud popping noises (fireworks) and such. Once she hear's one, she shakes and will run, jump or crawl to try and get away. A few times she has run into walls. The vet gave us some doggie valium. It worked fairly well. She quieted down and relaxed but still had some minor shakes. But, it was a much improved state for her.

I hate giving it to her but there is no alternative when the 4th rolls around.

My brother-in-law has a smaller dog and their vet said to give it Benadryl, which seemed to work OK. But again their dog is all of 20 lbs or less.

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Antidepressants aren't sedatives. In other words, she won't be "knocked out" if she's given doggie prozac. It's not something you give just once and see immediate results, she has to be taking it for a while regularly for the effects to be noticable. It can really help with anxiety, though and may make her a better dog overall.

Now, valium is a sedative and you only give it before or during an incident. I don't think it's realistic to keep a dog doped up on valium for the duration of an entire trip. Benadryl will just make her sleepy. It can be good for car rides if you dog hates the car, things like that.

8. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

I think you are better off leaving her in the kennel. She's just doing what comes naturally and what dogs do. I have a labrador that goes nuts anytime I take him anywhere but I just deal with it. These drugs are bad for humans and have long term effects, and I'm sure it can't be any better for dogs, probably worse. She'll get over the separation anxiety once you get back, the drugs may linger in her system for who knows how long.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

There isn't a pet vacation place (like a kennel but the dogs are given the royal treatment) around?

10. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

My sister had a dog that would lick his paws until they were bloody stumps and prozac completely cleared it up. Now, two years later the dog is off drugs and doing well. In your case, I'm not sure if drugs are appropriate but I can guarantee your dog would choose to be sedated with his family as opposed to alone in a kennel.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

there's a really nice kennel here, but it's pretty expensive. They charge something like $25 a night, then extra for doggie play time and daily nature walks etc.
    It's not often I go somewhere that the pup can't come with so I've never had her there, but left her in a "normal" kennel for a week when I was in London for $15 a night, I dunno if she'd be any more or less pissed at us had she stayed at the other place or not.
    I chose the place I did because it was inside a vet's office. I've had 2 dogs die in kennels, bad luck I suppose.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Prozac for dogs? What the hell do they have to be depressed about? They have the life![​IMG]