Proton D-1200 specs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim Dogg, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Tim Dogg

Tim Dogg Agent

Anyone have specs for the proton d-1200 amp.Ive seached all over the internet for info on this amp with nothing coming back.
    Has anyone used these to drive subwoofers before?I have 2 12" 8 ohm subwoofers in a sealed encloser and need some serios juice for these subs.Ive narrowed it down to this proton for $500 or a bryston 4b for $800.I no the bystron is a better amp but i really like the way the proton looks with the green power meters im just worried about power output more than looks. Tim Dogg

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Tim,

This is just going by my memory....I remember the old Stereo Review magazine has a test report done by the late Julian Hirsch on this power amp. If I am correct, this power amp is rated at 120 watts/channel. However, Proton amps/integrated amps from that era (late 80s) are famous for their dynamic power....able to have 6 dB's of dynamic power on tap. And I remember this Proton power amp was able to deliver over 1,000 watts per channel when driven into 2 ohms. NAD integrated amps/power amps had a similar feature called Power Envelope, with model numbers ending with letters PE.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Forum!

To answer your question, the D1200 is definitely cool looking...

[​IMG]

...but it’s practically an antique. Proton sold them in the mid-to-late 80s. According to my Audio Annual Equipment Directory archives, the power rating is 100 watts @8-ohms, and 160 or 200 @ 4-ohms (according to the Directory, the 4-ohm rating went up with the later models).

$500 seems pretty stiff, since they sold for $700 list when they were new. Considering the typically discounted street prices, $500 practically the price of a brand new one. Someone’s recently been trying to sell (what’s described as) a “new” one on eBay for $440, and it’s gone down twice without a bid - a sure indication that it’s overpriced.

It doesn’t take anything special to drive subs. Using a Bryston for a sub would be considerable overkill, in my opinion. Many people on this Forum have had satisfactory results using cheap pro-audio amps.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt