protectors for unused RCA jacks on receiver?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by tonyKwok, Apr 11, 2005.

1. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion for some type of protectors to keep the unsused RCA jacks on the receiver free from corrosion. I was thinking of just taping them w/ some electrical tapes to keep air and dust out of them. Any ideas?

thanks
    tony

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

do *not* use electrical tape on the plugs. that stuff has sticky residue which i think will cause more harm then good.

they do make these little caps that you can put over the plugs though. i tried to search for you, but couldn't find a link -- but they do exist.

anyway, i've never bothered covering my plugs and i have yet to see any sort of corroson or anything similar. as far as dust goes, i usually open up my gear once in a while and take a couple cans of compressed air to it. i think that has more benefits then just covering the plugs.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Do a search for Cardas caps and you'll find what you need. Depending on the number off connections on the back of your unit it could cost a pretty penny. On the cheap you could just cover the connections with tinfoil.

Kevin

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

wow, only $5.00 each!!! what a bargain... [​IMG]

oh yeah, i'm sure kevin was joking, but i wouldn't use tinfoil either. i bet you'd be bummed if the tinfoil unwrapped and touched the other rca jack. [​IMG]

5. tonyKwok

wow, these cardas caps are insanely expensive. Who actually uses them anyway? There's gotta be an alternative to these caps. i wonder if home depot carry any type of plastic caps that'll fit a standard RCA jack. I'll stop by there this week and ask around.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You could just buy some cheap, bulk RCA connectors from somewhere like www.partsexpress.com and use them.

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Who's joking? Unless the tin foil fell off and some how got inside another RCA connection the only problem you really have to worry about is if you speaker wire connections are below the RCA's and the foil fellow on them. Theirs only a connection made in the RCA when the male connector goes into the female RCA and touches a pin on the inside. If your worried about them falling off, then you could buy a bag of those braces elastic bands to hold the foil on.

Kevin

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

let's see...

tinfoil covered rca jacks wrapped with little rubber bands used for braces.

nice... [​IMG]

9. tonyKwok

hey guys

i think I found something that might be usable instead of those cardas caps. Try this www.mocap.com

tony

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that's kinda neat...i think it would work.

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Why, they even have a reservoir tip!!

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    If you're like me I have more RCA cables than I know what to do with, so I clipped off the ends I needed and soldered the wires together to short the signal and shrink tubed them. I use them as caps for open jacks and for the possible "signal bleed." It may not do anything, but it didn't cost me anything but time and some pocket change. Corrosion may still be an issue though...

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

14. tonyKwok

So what is the consensous around here in regards to these unused RCA jacks? Does any of you guys here actually care that they're exposed? Maybe I'm being too compulsive.

15. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    I've never been worried about it...

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I haven't either, but if it bugs you, then it bugs you. Try and find something more reasonable in price. Maybe those plastic caps.

17. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've never worried about covering the plugs, and i've never seen any issues because of it.

but, like chu said, if it bugs ya ... then go for it. danny's idea is the best so far. a buck a pop isn't bad for peace of mind.

18. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've been doing this for YEARS and the only time I've ever even seen an RCA that would like some cleaning was in a 2 smoker environment over dozens of years. Usually a Q-tip w/ alcohol is enough to clean this sort of thing up quick, smokers or not.

Even at $1 a pop, that's still going to be quite a few for the number of unused connections I've got on the back of my receiver...[​IMG]

RS-232? SCART?

19. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The RCA jacks are generally not copper so they dont oxidize like bare copper wire.

In the last ... nearly 8 years all I needed to do was use a soft toothbrush to dust off my RCA jacks. I could use a can of compressed air, but then I have all that dust in the air.

The Cardas Caps actually have something like a 50 ohm resistor between the inner and outer connection. (There is some reason you DONT want a direct short between the two - but the reasons escape me).

The idea is this:

Set your reciever to one of the un-used inputs. Then turn the unit on, set the volume low and touch the RCA jack. In most homes, this will cause a loud humm/buzz.

The un-capped jacks actually DO pick up some noise. (and the outer part connects to your electronics zero-volt reference: the ground.) This is normally not a problem, but audiophiles dont want the risk of cross-talk and the chance of noise getting into their ultra-sensitive electronics. So the Cardas Caps "shunt" the 2 parts of the RCA jack together through a resistor. This prevents any stray noise from getting into the system.

20. Curtis

Curtis Auditioning

TonyKwok,
    I purchased some from a company called MCM Electronics a long time ago. They are cheap and will cost around 3.00 for 10 red caps to cover the un-used rca jacks.
    Go to your search engine on your PC and type in mcmelectronics and once there do a search for rca connector cover and you will find what you are looking for.
    You can also type in the part number 608469