What's new

Protector mode? STR-DE875 (1 Viewer)

Kevin H

Agent
I had my STR-DE875 receiver hooked up to the DVD player via the DVD player's Line Out plugs and the receiver's DVD/LD line in plugs.

This morning the comcast guy came over to install digital cable with HD. I wasn't there when he was doing this, so I don't know what he did back there. Anyway, I go to watch a DVD today and within a few seconds of the DVD starting, the sound seemed a little low for the volume level the receiver was at, but I figured it might just be the DVD. So as I turn it up, the receiver stops and displays the message "Protector mode" and nothing can be done unless you turn off the receiver. Once it's back on, it will go back into protector mode within a few seconds.

I went to look at the connections to see if I could see anything wrong, and I noticed that there was another plug from the DVD player to the receiver. This plug was from the DVD player's Digital Out coaxial output to the receiver's Digital in coaxial input. This was something that was not there before and I can only assume the cable guy did himself.

I believe that the protector message indicated a short of some sort, but I'm not sure. When I unplugged what the cable guy did and kept the same settings that I had had before (and which worked fine) I still got the protector message.

When all the cables are unplugged, there is no message that pops up, but then again the receiver isn't doing anything.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Anything I can do to make the cable company fix this?

EGM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Galen
Kevin,

I ran into the same problem with my old receiver - also a Sony (DE925). Protector mode does indicate a short, however I find it hard to believe that the optical cable caused it. I could be wrong, but I just don't think it is possible. If anyone reading this is sure, feel free to confirm or correct this for me.

However, what will cause this, and what is usually the most likely culprit, is when your speaker wires touch at either end. It only takes a small strand of the +/- wire touch its counterpart to cause this. When you raise the volume you send more power to the speakers, and this will trigger a short and your receiver entering protection mode.

I just got a Denon 3805 and the day I brought it home I went to watch a dvd with my 925 still running the whole rig. I turned up the volume, just like you did, and when a loud scene came up...the reciever shut down and entered protector mode.

This had happened in the past and simply turning off my receiver and letting it reset used to fix the problem. However, this time, probably out of spite (who says electronics don't have feelings ;) ) it ended up killing the recevier entirely. The tech that I took it to said it would cost $300 to fix with labor. Seeing as I paid $400 for it back in 1998, I did not feel this was the route to go. Which was unfortunate because I was planning on selling it to a friend.

So long story short, if it doesn't reset after you have turned it off and unplugged it for a few hours, disconnect all your components and speakers from the receiver, unplug it and let it sit overnight. If it still doesn't reset, you have problems and should contact Sony to fix it.

Hopefully you are still under warranty and it will just be a matter of paying for shipping to the nearest authorized Sony tech center and waiting for it to come back. I think the one that was nearest to me was in Pittsburg or PA somewhere, so it may be much easier for you. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse that needs to be replaced or it could much worse.

I hope this helped!

GM

Kevin H

Agent
I checked and I'm 99% sure that nothing is touching. I've taken them all out and put them in again making sure the only part that would ever touch would be the insulated wires crossing to go into the inputs (and even those don't really touch).

Is there anything else I can try?

EGM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Galen
It may be that they were crossed at one point, and despite reconnecting them the damage has already been done. I believe that you can reset the receiver overall by pressing and holding the power button and setup (?) button at the same time. This puts the receiver into demo mode and resets everything. The exact button combination may be different, but it is listed in your manual.

I also tried that, and it didn't work. I hate to be negative, but I went through this whole deal less than a month ago and can honestly say that I tried everything to fix it myself to no avail. I believe that what I have listed are your only options.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks