Protective screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Don Keegan, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Don Keegan

Don Keegan Agent

i have a 55 inch mits it has a protective screen on it would removing it improve picture. i tried to remove it myself to see but afraid to break for no good reason.

2. John S

John S Producer

Some glare problems??? Isn't there some spray on products to help cut down glare??? I have some glare issues with mine to by the way. Afraid as heck to remove it and I don't have any kids or anything.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Nah, it's a pretty simple procedure. I removed both the screen protector AND the screen on my RCA HD RPTV to clean out a spider and its webs from the inside of it. I cleaned the CRT lenses and the mirror while I was at it. The screen and protector went back on with no problems whatsoever. I was surprised at how easy it really was, and I saved 100 bucks that the TV shop was gonna charge me.[​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, I'm not afraid of the removal process. I'm afraid of the vulnerability afterwards. [​IMG]

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

There might be instructions in the manual on how to remove the protective screen.

Have you check?

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Vulnerability? Do you mean when the thing is opened up? Mine was really solid and the only thing I can think of to be concerned about is the mirror; the insides aren't as fragile as one would think. I used a slightly damp cotton cloth to wipe the CRT lenses and the mirror, ever so gentley, and got the offending arachnid and its webs out with a hand vac; amazingly it was still alive. After I was satisfied with the cleaning, I just popped the screen and protector back on and went about my business.....watching DVDs. [​IMG]

7. Don Keegan

Don Keegan Agent

I really just want to know will i get a better picture w/ the protective screen off. oh yes the manual does explain step by step how to install which sounds quite simple and to remove in reverse but i have to bend it to remove and can't get ahold on it

Thanks for all the replies

Don

8. John S

John S Producer

No, the vulnerability of the screen without the protective thing over it. I think I assumed he wanted to leave it off afterwards for an increase in performance without it.

9. Don Keegan

Don Keegan Agent

John S you are correct better performance???
    Is it worth the risk?

10. John S

John S Producer

I am wrestling with just that question myself.

I dunno. I can say, I haven't removed mine yet, nearly two years ownership on the display. [​IMG] The glare sin;t that bad, but no lights can be on directly inline with my screen or it bugs me for sure.

11. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

About a month ago, I had to replace the lenticular screen due to scratches by the vacuum handle. I had a protective screen on the set, but decided to take it off because I didn't liked the glare/reflection from the lighting in my room and day light. I don't regret removing the protective screen. I will never put it back on again and I will probably remove the protective screen on my next display also.

If you have kids that likes to touch stuff, I would not suggest to removing the protective screen until they know better.

If you tend to bump in your TV, I would not remove the protective screen. This may sound funny or odd, but my screen got scratch by a vacuum. Now, I am very careful when I am cleaning near the TV area.

I have a 47" Panasonic. I had my protective screen remove when I got the set ISF calibrated. Its just routine step to remove the protective screen for ISF.

When I had to replace the lenticular screen, I had my friend who is a TV Tech, come out with the new screen and installed it for me. He had the service manual on how to get to the screen. He also gave me the new screen at cost. I think it was $140. Other places wanted almost double, plus labor. I didn't get charge for labor. Expect to pay a lot more for your 55" if you need to replace the lenticular screen.

You are lucky because the manual shows you on how to remove the protective screen. My uncle has a 65" Mits RPTV. He is nowhere a techie, but he read the manual and remove his screen by himself. If he can do it, anyboby can do it.

If you have no kids running around the TV area, I say go for it. You will notice a difference in the picture.

12. Don Keegan

Don Keegan Agent

Tim thanks for that reply lots to think about! i do have a 2 year old who loves to finger print my screen so i will not leave it off, would love to take off on movie nights and re-install afterward once i figure out getting it off in the first place sure don't want to pay for new screen after big $$$$ for RPTV

13. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Have you tried searching the forums? I remembered reading way back where a poster made up a screen that went over their set when the kids were around and they could take it off when the kids were away. This was way way back, maybe more than an year. Try searching for key terms and see what you can find.

You know what, when you remove the protective screen, you could make some kind of bracket that can be velcro onto your tv, when the screen is needed and taken off.

I would think that it will be easy to do. All you need is to make a frame for the protective screen and get some hinges to velcro on top on the set. As for the frame, use quarter inch molding for hardwood floors that you get from Home Depot and use some kind of glue to put ir together.

Or, go to Home Depot, find some clear see through plastic, have them cut it to the screen size, use the molding for a top and bottom brace and velcro to the tv.

It's easy!!!

Your problem is solved [​IMG].

Easier said than done...

14. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Extra

I removed the one on my 55" Mitsubishi 3 monthes ago. I had a lot of glare problems. The picture is much better now. I have 4 young kids snd it has been alright so far. I don't think I would put it back on again.

15. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I always recommend removing the screen, unless you have unruly children or pets that like to nose up to Lassie :)

My kids are 18 months, 6, and 8 and my glare screen on my Toshiba 65H80 has been off for 3 years now.

Happy viewing,

Gregg

16. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Gregg,

You probably trained your kids very well at not to kiss the screen when Blue Clues comes on .

I know of a guy who got his plasma mess up because of his nephew and his kiddy shows.

"Bang Bang, there is cartoons on TV!"