Protection Mode?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick Bum, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Ok so today I was doing something a bit diffrentley than I normaly do. Instead of running sound directley from my source to the amp I had to run it though the tv to a tv out becasue of the crapy cables that my friend had with his game cube. So I had it set up to feed sound out to the amp and well it did but it was real faint so I turned the amp up and up and up and then i guess about half way up the dial it went into protection mode and shut off. The next few times i turned it on with diffrent sources it acted funny. now its back to normal but what is protection mode? And why did it occur like half way up the dial. I frequentley listen to music and have the dial up higher than that.

2. Girish

Girish Stunt Coordinator

girish
    There must be a short wire somewhere to kick the receiver in the protection mode.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Protection mode can be triggered by a any number of things:
    a short as Girish said
    overheating
    trying to drive speakers with too low of an impedance
    running out of either voltage or current like during demanding bass passages
    Protection mode is like an internal circuit breaker inside your unit and it will be activated if it senses something is wrong with your electrical supply, sound output, or sound input. It's your receivers way of attempting to protect itself and often it takes a little bit of time before everything is back to normal, provided you haven't damaged it.
    Maybe one of you can break down and get new cables.

4. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Well it was just a one night thing. So I doubt that it will happen again it must just be the game cube because its working fine now. But it dident damage my reciever or anything did it? My speakers are fine and it seems that the reciever is too.