PRO'S obliterating the CON'S of HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeffdDurborow, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JeffdDurborow

If you haven't seen or bought an HD-DVD PLAYER your missing out on one of the most amazing pieces of Home theater hardware ever released...

I am as well as many, many others are continuing to be blown away by this format. Read these forums and you can see the Toshiba and Rca HD-DVD players being praised repeatedly for their superior picture and sound quality..

I have yet to hear anything negative to the extent of picture quality or sound from either of these units..

Negative attributes to these units are based on load times, remote.

The sincere fact of the matter is when the movie starts to play you are blown away..AS PROMISED...

I am not alone in my complete dedication to this format...

See for yourself....that is the understatement of both these formats..

"See for Yourself" ... read all the specs you want about both these formats.. what do you think about when you see the picture???

The answer lyes within what you see..

what i see makes me say wow every time i turn it on...

***On a personal note I want to thank Ron Epstein for his honest and un biased opinions on both these formats. I would not be enjoying this fantastic piece of HT equipment if it wasn't for the article that Ron wrote about his experience and his thoughts about both of these new formats.**

So thanks Ron for giving me the nudge to not sit back and wait but SEE for myself what i have been missing. I sat back and waited trusting simply the Specs to justify my thoughts on what i would buy. I will never do that again....you gotta see it, you gotta hear it....to be blown away by it..and that will totally change your "SPEC SHEET" opinion...

HD-DVD supporter go "SEE" what your missing....

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I tell it like it is!

HD-DVD is an amazing format, and if you read some of the
    lastest posts on this forum I think you'll feel more confifdent
    that the format isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm so happy you are enjoying the format!

3. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

The only complaint I have is the remote, but that's something I'll be able to get used to. The loading time doesn't really bother me much because I was prepared for it after reading about it on HTF. The player is more like a computer than a DVD player, anyway. It truly is a great piece of hardware, and I have zero complaints with the picture and audio quality. Definately worth the upgrade.

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

You now, I've gotten over the remote. Once I figured out what to push, where, and when it pretty much just became another in a LONG series of remotes lining my bedroom nightstand.

I have to say, besides my projector, this machine is the best thing I've gotten as far as HT is concerned. The pictures are terrific, the new TrueHD feature...amazing. I only see continued fun as more titles are released. Heck, even my wife asks: What's coming out on HD DVD next week? The true sign of a Winner!

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Hey it can be the "most amaxing DVD player EVER" on the whole planet, but it still doesn't stop the fact that the odds are you will never be able to watch a BUNCH of movies form studios who settled on Blu-Ray...for that fact alone, I could never get excited about a DVD player that won't be able to play numerous DVD movies supported only by Blu.

Not at all worth the gamble no matter how "pretty" the images are...I can live with SD-DVD for a LONG time until there is ONE format on the shelves of every electronics store.

6. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Oddly, this remote (as complicated and silly as it may seem) makes a lot more sense than the previous remote for my Yamaha (which share one set of buttons for fast forward and skip track - I'm sure you can imagine how much fun that was).

But I still agree the remote could have been much, much better.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Alf,

Either format you choose there's a 50/50 chance of losing.

Personally, at this time, I'd rather spend $500 rather than $1000
    to get my foot in the door of a high definition format.

We will all certainly understand if everyone else sits out of this
    format war, but I think if you do enough research across the
    Internet (and especially on this forum) you'll find that HD-DVD is
    becoming a nice little success story here.

The worst thing that could happen is that you get stuck with
    a HD-DVD player that does a great job upconverting and whose
    build quality exceeds its pricetag. $500 is a small risk to pay in
    order to enjoy image and audio quality that far exceeds what you
    have now.

8. Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton Second Unit

The slow loads stop me from buying the A1. Often times I'll start watching a DVD only to decide to try something else after a few minutes. That would become pretty annoying with the reported load times of this device. Hopefully this is an issue Toshiba will address with their 2G units.

9. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I just jumped on yesterday. Took advantage of an open box buy at Best Buy. After inspecting it, they offered it to me for $400 - $50 off the marked price. I asked for $375 and got it. I had $175 in gift cards.

Went to a friends and downloaded firmware 2.0. We also watched a bit of Sleepy Hollow. Can't wait to see what it looks like on my XBR970 that's being delivered Friday.

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Cool Michael....looks like you got a great deal! [​IMG]

11. BrettGallman

Honestly, they aren't that bad. I was prepared for the worst after what I had heard on here and other forums, but it really is not that long of a wait. Sure, it's not as quick as a DVD player, but this isn't a DVD player. It's more like a computer. Just see the load time as a chance to go get a snack or grab something to drink and it's not so bad. [​IMG]

12. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    They are slow...but remember how good a steak is when it's slowly marinating to perfection. Can't rush these things you know. [​IMG]....it is pretty slow. [​IMG]

But worth the wait. [​IMG]

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

My experience reflects Brett Gallman comments also!!! [​IMG]

As far as the Remote, once you get use to where all the buttons are, then it's not too bad. At times though, pressing the buttons requires a firm determined push, then the selection acts as they should.

Toshiba 720p/1080p DLP Owners - TidBit
    If you own one, that includes the Dual Wand IR Blaster, which effectively allows the Toshiba HDTV to pass along the Toshiba HD-A1 IR codes from the center of the HDTV screen.

Just place one of the IR Blaster devices just below the right side of the Toshiba HD-A1 opening door , ... pointed up, ... then you can just point the Toshiba Remote @ your HDTV Screen from anywhere in your room (works 25' away from my kitchen & I can't even see my HD-A1 unit / couch on the way) when you select any HD DVD option. Works GREAT in a darken room also!!! [​IMG]

Phil

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Phil, somehow I missed your R2. Wow is that cool!!!! [​IMG] Dang I want one of those....ok back on topic.[​IMG]

15. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

'never' is an awfully long time. And the the thing that bothers me about this feeling (which Alf isn't alone in expressing) is that it makes the consumers (us) out to be just passive recepticles of whatever the studios want to feed us- as if we have no choice or say in the matter- and we just have to take what they give us and like it.
    Screw that.

I love HD DVD. I love the price points, I love the quality and care shown in the discs I own, I love the fact that a generous amount of extra features don't seem to be negatively impacting the most important aspects.
    As long as the studios supporting it continue to do so, and put out content that I want to own, I'll be buying.

Its a shame Fox and Disney and MGM don't want a crack at my wallet, but so be it- thats more money I have to throw Warner, Universal and Paramounts way.

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Yep. [​IMG]

17. BrettGallman

Well said, Paul.

Is it going to sting a little if Fox doesn't release "Aliens" on HD-DVD? Sure. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't allow myself to get what is being released on HD-DVD. The way I see it, it's more than having nothing, because there is a substantial amount of stuff released and in the pipeline that has already justified my purchase, in my opinion.

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Right, like how we never got to see all the movies from studios that only signed up with DIVX instead of "open DVD". [​IMG] Besides, aren't there studios that are releasing on HD-DVD but not Blu-Ray? Aren't Blu-Ray buyers also going to miss out on a BUNCH of movies?

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't own either format and I'm not in any hurry to move up to hi-def DVD. I'm waiting for the market to do its job - tell the studios and the manufacturers what people are willing to buy at a given price, and what features are important to them. (As opposed to which technology and features the manufacturers think we should want and what price we'd be happy to pay.)

From my perch here on the sidelines I think Sony is headed for another of its "my way or the highway" format meltdowns. They've arrived in the marketplace months behind HD-DVD with no appreciable quality advantage and at least as many glitches and growing pains. The usual "barely out of beta" release we've come to expect from new formats. (Remember the monthly round-up of new DVD releases that flat-out would not play on certain makes and models?)

I don't think PS3 is going to save the format, either, both because I doubt the overlap between gameplayers, serious movie fans and HDTV owners is as big as Sony thinks it is, and because by all accounts it is going to be way too expensive as a gaming system while selling at a loss as a DVD player.

I'm not saying the war is over. Sony could fix enough of its problems quickly enough to regain its feet, and they could decide that it makes more sense to trade profits for market share in the market you're actually competing in (DVD movie player) than the one where you aren't (game platform) and try to go toe-to-toe with HD-DVD - or (to vary th metaphor) at least lower the price enough to be in the same ballpark. But there's no doubt in my mind that Blu-Ray is currently in second place in this race, and if Sony hasn't gotten things on track in order to put up some decent numbers by the holiday season, studios are going to start embracing HD-DVD as well and then a damned good system at a lower price will beat a slightly "better" system at a higher price, as has happened so many times in the past. (Often with Sony on the losing end.)

Regards,

Joe

19. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I went crazy last night. I think I went crazier yesterday than in 1999 when I got my first DVD.

I bought Sleepy Hollow, Goodfellas, Sky Captain, Manchurain Candidate at Wal Mart.

From Amazon I ordered Enter the Dragon, Good Night, and Good Luck, Searchers, Syriana, Unforgiven. Blazing Saddles, Full Metal Jacket, Animal House, and Ray.

4 are rebuys and 7 are movies I have held off buying in expectation of HD.

I also discovered I have 6 HD DVDs out 350 DVDs in my Netflix queue. I think I have enough to watch for awhile. [​IMG] I'm just waiting on more Kubricks, Superman, Batman and if the Bonds come out on Blu-ray only . . . I may become a Blu-ray owner.

20. BrettGallman

Yep. Universal has not pledged any support to Blu-Ray. So, while I might miss out on "Aliens" or "X-Men" on HD-DVD, I wouldn't get to see "Jaws" had I went the Blu-Ray direction. So really, it's all a wash in some ways.

I do know it's far more expensive to spend $1500 to get EVERY movie available instead of just paying $500 and still get a good amount of movies I enjoy. Also, there's always the chance that HD-DVD wins out, and I eventually see everything I want anyway.