Pros & cons of the B&K 307 needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Z, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Brett Z

Brett Z Auditioning

My local B&K dealer called me and told he would be getting a good deal on the 307. I don't know what a "good deal" is yet, but before I went further on it I would like to hear the pros and cons of owning the 307. I was looking at the Marantz 9200.

It doesn't look like the 307 has DP II. Is B&K getting ready to come out with a new model ?

What would be better to wait for the updated model and pay more or get lasts years at a good discount?

Thanks
    Brett

2. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

3. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

I'm a current B&K 307 owner, which was a down grade from a Meridian 568/504/501v front end into 2 Sunfire Cinema Grands, I'm still using the same speakers Paradigm Studio Ref V2 100, cc, 20, ADP.

The B&K does not have the latest and greatest, so what, how much DD-ES or DTS 24/96 discreet is there, DTS Neo sucks.

Now DPLII would be nice and hopefully will come.

The B&K sounds very good, not as sweet as my previous setup, but not much will sound that good.

It has a PC interface to configure and control.

IMHO the B&K has a grat user interface, is very flexible and simple to operate.

What the B&K does, it does very well. ON HT it's very close between the other top of the line recievers. On music I put the B&K # 1. On user interface # 1. Very good customer service when you have a problem. I blew out the left channel my falt, still under warranty and they fixed it free turn around under 2 weeks. They also upgraded the Software to the newest ver.

4. Brett Z

Brett Z Auditioning

Thanks for the info. I called and talked to their tech people. That is a nice feature you don't get with the other folks. They told me they had a priority on a couple of other projects and should be upgrading the 307 sometime in the 4th quarter. May include hardware and software. They designed so the hardware upgrades would be simple.

The ezboard site was helpful too. Based on the upgrade capabilites and the great price I can buy it $1750 it hard to justify paying +$700 more for the Pioneer 49tx.

Brett

5. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

B&K307 is a damn fine receiver and I believe they have gotten over their quality snafus (which was in some of the earlier models).
    Brett, you have a GREAT price for a new unit and please ensure that you are buying it from an authorized dealer(B&K is strict about not servicing unauthorized dealer purchases)
    Enjoy it [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Kishore

6. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I love mine. That is a great price so make sure it's got the serial # on it [​IMG] and it's an authorized dealer.
    It has a lot of little things like notch filters that can make setting it up for your particular room great. It's also wife friendly.
    My biggest problem with it is the manual. Unless they've redone it, it's not that great. Some things it over simplifies and some it just glances over. It's probably meant for custom tweaks by a dealer. But once you play with it for a while it's not bad to customize.