Pros/Cons of LCD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Keith_R, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hello all, I'm looking at upgrading my television in the next 6 months and am heavily interested in possibly moving to an LCD. I plan on using this TV for XBox 360, DVD's, and eventually hidef (Broadcast and DVD/Blu-Ray)

I'll be upgrading from a tube television. Tubes are all that I have ever owned, and I'm aware that there are several significant pros to owning a tube over an LCD.

What would the pros and cons be to an LCD over a tube? Will an LCD fit my needs well or is a tube better suited to my needs?

Thanks!

2. Randall Wetmore

LCD Pros vs. CRT:

weighs much less
    can be hung on a wall
    bigger screen sizes available
    many can also be used as a computer monitor

LCD Cons vs. CRT:

Motion Blur
    Dead and/or stuck pixels
    Poor black levels/low contrast ratio
    Limited viewing angles
    Very small "sweet spot" viewing position

In my view the cons outweight the pros, though LCDs continue to improve as new models roll out. Still no match for the best direct view CRT models(i.e. Sony's Super Fine Pitch), in my opinion.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Randall has a good list. But you should also consider plasma. The only downside of plasma to LCD I can think of at the moment is possible problems with burn in using computer games. But recent units are much more impervious to this than those in the past. Plus, at equal resolution, plasmas are typically cheaper than LCD too.

But me, myself, and I: still have a 32" Toshiba CRT too. [​IMG] I *still* have not come across a plasma that has the performance I want for the price I want to pay, although I have been looking at Panasonic for 8 months now.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Not exactly what my research showed. At smaller sizes LCDs are cheaper and plasmas don't even try to compete. At medium sizes the plasma gets cheaper vs. LCD as size goes up. At really big sizes neither one competes on price with rear projection or front projection. But at small to medium sizes neither can bet a tube on price alone.

So back to the OP's question. Keith you neglected to mention what size screen you want and an indicator of budget. Without that I don't believe you're going to get much useful advice. And every type of technology has those that swear by it and those that swear at it.

Oh, and we've got 3 TV's in the house. One LCD, one plasma and one (old) tube.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Some of the LCD screens out there do overcome a lot of the "cons" listed above. We've a Sharp Aquos running at work (32" widescreen) that has a remarkably good viewing angle, no dead pixels, and is sufficiently fast to show NTSC video without any blurring.

Now, it's a lot more expensive than, say, the Westinghouse or LG screens (although I've heard good things about some of the LG screens,) but we picked it up at what I thought to be a remarkably low price.

Leo

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

oops. I guess I should mention that I'm probably looking in the 26-30 inch size range. I'd like a 16:9 set. Budget-wise I'm thinking in the area of about $1500.

I've heard that these new flat-panels have perfect geometry, is this true? how is convergence (if any) on these things? Also, could someone please describe what "dead pixels" are?

thanks!

7. Mike Gillgannon

Mike Gillgannon Auditioning

I haven't noticed any of Randall's "cons" with Sony's 40" XBR model. Dead pixels could crop up eventually, I suppose.

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

With a 26"-30" size range you're essentially limited to an LCD screen as a "flat panel, hang on the wall" option, if that's your goal. Plasmas don't kick in until about the 37" screen size and other flat panel options are still in the formative stages (and expensive if even available yet). As to brands, I usually recommend "P" for Plasmas (Panasonic or Pioneer) and "S" for LCDs (Sony or Sharp). OK, there's no "S" in "LCD" but you get the point.
    [​IMG]

And, if you are not limited to thin panels and if space is not the issue here, nothing beats the price : performance of the current crop of HD CRT sets in that 26"-30" range. But, of course, you are talking about a heavy, bulky unit so this might not be applicable.

9. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Agree completely. Below 30" size I'd stick to a tube right now unless depth of the case or weight would veto it in which case I'd go with the more expensive LCD. Personally, I'd add Toshiba to the recommended LCDs, that's what we ended up with and are very pleased with it.

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

Thanks for the input everyone.

Unfortunately I am limited to the size of my entertainment center which can only fit a 26 to 30 inch television. Hence why I'm stuck on LCD rather than plasma.

My biggest gripe with CRT is the bulkiness and the geometry distortion that is present on most of the recent CRT's that I've seen. I recently bought a new CRT for the bedroom and it has annoying geometry distortion.

As far as brands go, I've been primarily looking at Sharp and Sony. I hear really good things about the Sharp displays and I really like Sony televisions, all of the Sony's I've owned have been great.

Circuit City has some sales going on right now, so I may stop by there later and see what they are offering.

11. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I managed to get over to Circuit city and Best Buy over the weekend to check out their LCDs. I looked at a Sharp, Sony, and a Samsung.

The Sharp was nice but unfortunately I don't think it will fit in my cabinent.

I'm really in love with the Sony. I'm particulary fond of the XBR model(KDLV26XBR1)though it is a few hundred more than my budget. Iloved the pic and the features on this one.

The Samsung looked really good too. In fact I think it may have even have had the most detailed picture of the ones I looked at and was the cheapest.

At this point it is Sony vs. Samsung. For a bit more, the Sony has an excellent pic and a few extra features that will come in handy possibly (i.e., built in HD tuner, Cablecard) and for a bit less the Sammy scraps these extra features and still gives a decent pic. I've pulled up the specs for both and they are both pretty similar aside from Cable Card and HD Tuners. One crucial difference between the two may be the response time, according to the specs for the Sony it has a response time of 8 MS while the Samsung's response time is unlisted. I've heard from other people that the Sammy could have a response of 12 MS though.

What is better a higher or lower response time? thanks.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Lower response time is better. However, there is a point where it doesn't really matter whether the response time is say 6ms vrs 8ms. At which point may be a subject of subjectivity, but to answer your question, the lower response time the "better".

Jay

13. Randall Wetmore

I think the Sony has an 8ms response time, and the Samsung's is less than 8ms. I believe also that the Samsung has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and the Sony only 1300:1. The Sony probably has better color and clarity vs. the Samsung, but more motion blur. Tough choice.

14. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

I'm looking at the Samsung LRN268W. According to what I heard at another forum, this particular line of Samsung has a 12ms response time. OTOH it does have that 3000:1 contrast ratio. Given that this information is true than the Sony would in effect have a better response time but less of a contrast ratio. Ultimately I guess the tradeoff between higher contrast ration and more response time or less contrast ratio and a smaller response time is a choice I'll have to make.

Despite the smaller contrast ratio, I'm leaning more towards the Sony than the Samsung. I've always been very pleased with Sony displays and will be replacing a Sony display with this upgrade. Both sets have very positive marks by other users online but the Sony does seem to have a small edge to the Samsung.

Another question, typically how long can an LCD last? are they fixable when they wear out?

Thanks!

15. Randall Wetmore

I would think 12ms would be much too slow, so I would avoid the Samsung.