1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pro's/Con's of Digital Cable

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andrew Pezzo, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Thinking of getting HBO for the new season of Sopranos and will have to get digital cable for this. What benefits does if offer over regular cable. I would imgaine sound and picture to be improved but is this really the case? Also, according to my cable company, I would have to get the HD service for 5.1 audio which suprissed me, I thought that was part of having digital cable.

FWIW, my TV is not HD, just a 36 inch Sharp CRT. I do have quality audio components so if there is improvent in sound quality than I would be able to hear it (at least I think I should be able to).

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Many digital cable channels use way too much compression and that can cause serious artifacts especially during fast motion scenes. So you trade some analog artifacts for digital artifacts.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I'm suprised you have to get digital cable to get HBO in your area. It doesn't work that way in NM. I do get digital cable because it is required for HD service and quality is channel dependant. The main advantage is more channels and an easier to use OSD. Also, when you order premium channels, you get all of them instead of just one(7 HBO's for instance).

DJ

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

In my area, the quality of the digital channels is worse than analog. ... Due to the high compression involved. And, the idiots broadcast the audio of the Sci Fi channel in mono. I'm about a month from switching to a Dish.

5. marc

marc Stunt Coordinator

Being a long time fighter of Digital cable, we recently moved and I took a long look at it. I upgraded to a 65" HDTV and didn't want just an antenna for locals. Direct TV is just outrageous, $500 for the receiver, and with HBO and HD package (not including local HD channels) was going to be $85 for 2 rooms. I went with Comcast digital and their HD package. $69/month and I get local HD and HBO HD. So far I do not see a difference in PQ over direct tv, as I have them both hooked up. HD channels are incredible and they just added 2 more channels. $5 for the HD equipment per month, included in the $69. I guess it depends what area you are in.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Digital cable is impossible to predict. My brother Pat has fantastic digital cable in his Queens apartment. S-Video to his high quality NTSC tv, digital output for his Sony Dream System for 5.1 audio in PPV and digital audio much of the time. Based on his experience I went with digital cable when I recently moved. My digital cable box had blank plates over where the S-video and Coax Digital Outputs were suppoosed to be, and the picture and sound sucked bigtime. I just switched over to Dish who have great promotions and now I have a DVR with DD output. Good stuff.

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have Cox Digital Cable out of San Diego and the quality of regular broadcast channels varies wildly from absolutely horrible to good. The HD channels are excellent. I don't get any of the premium channels but the package I got consists of Digital Cable, Digital telephone service, and high speed Internet for 105 bucks a month. Not too bad considering I was paying 100 bucks for separate telephone and cable accounts, no Internet. We get 8 HD channels including PBSHD, Discovery HD Theater, INHD, INHD2, ABCHD, CBSHD, NBCHD, ESPNHD and they are planning to add a couple of more. I do get a subset of STARZ but not STARZ itself. These include MYST, WESTERN, IFC, LOVE, and a couple of others I can't remember. The PQ on those channels is OK, but nowhere near as good as the HD channels. No commercials on any of them. All in all, I am pretty satisfied with their service. As far as 5.1 sound goes, most all of the HD broadcasts from PBSHD, DiscoveryHD Theater and INHD (1&2) are in Dolby Digital. Some are in 5.1 and some in surround and stereo, which require ProLogic to decode. [​IMG]