What's new

Pros/Cons of 25-Foot Optical Audio Cable w/ Toslink Connectors (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive 25 foot long optical cable, with Toslink connectors, to connect my XBox to my receiver. I was curious if such a length even exists, and if it does, if such a lenth would render the use of the cable ineffective. Thanks guys!

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
There should be something available somewhere. Optics has been replacing conductors in computer networks because it can extent a few miles without repeaters while cables can only pass a signal a couple hundred yards. A 25ft length shouldn't be a problem.

rich r

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel,

I have a 20 foot optical cable that I bought from a local audio shop and it cost me only $30 CDN. Making Custom Fibre Optic cables I very difficult to do properly without the use of speciality tools. The glass fibre is very hard to align and strip properly. Also the most difficult and most important issue is connecting the TOS connector. Any nick, scratch or cut will greatly degrade sound quality.

I would deffinalty suggest trying not to build your own optical cables bbecause there are too many variables involed that produce a low qualitty cable

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I know Core Sound makes long TOSlink cables. You might want to check out their site.

Seth

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Thanks for the info everyone.

Seth: Is Core Sound a quality manufacturer of cables? Have you had any experience with them? Thanks again.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Daniel,

I have never dealt with Core Sound myself. I know a lot of people have purchased things from them on the Minidisc Mailing List and I've never seen any complaints.

They do not exclusively make cables. They have a specialized product line-up of equipment targeted at people who are interested in making live recordings and the subsequent handling of them.

I can not speak to the quality of the their TOSlink cables. I'm of the opinion that they'll all sound the same anyhow. In addition, I'm not aware that there are any other choices for a 10 meter TOSlink cable.

Seth

Users who are viewing this thread