What's new

Pros & cons for new center hub design (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
We all know that some of the center hub designs are less than perfect, and when a piece breaks off, it's terrible, so I came up with a crazy idea and would like to hear what everyone else thinks.
This is a completely new design. The center hub would have a center lip to hold the DVD in place, and in the center of that would be a round pin that would stick up about half an inch. After the DVD is in place, you'd put on top of it a round piece of styrofoam with a hole in the center that would accept the pin. (for us old folks, it would look something like a 45 RPM record adapter for record players). It would have to be the right thickness, of course, but when you closed it, the DVD won't move and will be easy to remove every time.
I can see the styrofoam 'block' getting lost, but maybe that could be secured to the case with a piece of string or something like that.
Ok, how bad is this idea?
Glenn

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
heck, it's a great idea, but i think the thought of losing the foam piece that you place on top is a big issue. if you lost that, the case would be ineffective.
unless i'm missing the boat on your design that is...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
very interest, yes loosing the cap would be the biggest issue, could you attach it to the other side(inside) of the case? the problem with that could be that the disk is always ready to come out when the case is open.

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
whatever happened to that other styrofoam hub? I think I saw it in one CD or DVD (can't remember which).
Basically it was a styrofoam disc, with a diameter slightly larger than the inside rim of a CD/DVD. So when the DVD was in place, it was held there by the expansion of the styrofoam. It was also pretty easy to remove, and you never felt like it was going to snap the disc.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought about glueing the styrofoam to the other side, but that sort of gets in the way of the booklet, doesn't it? A hinged arm could be put in that would drop down to secure it, but I can hear the case-makers scream at the extra cost. (We can't do it, it's an extra half penny!)
I know too that using a piece of string wouldn't last too long. Maybe some plastic like they use for cable ties, and they could always sell extra ones in various thicknesses.
Richard, you actually saw one of those? How cool! I knew that I couldn't possibly be the first one to come up with it, but some of those hubs today have got to go.
Glenn

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think the best hub design out there is the one made by Amaray on their PS2 cases. It is a triangle hub with an arm attached to each side, almost like one big piece sticking up. The button has some good feeling behind it when you press it, the disc just pops off and rests on top, and when the disc is in place, equal pressure is applied to all sides so the disc is held more firmly. Go to a rental place and pick up a case from a PS2 game from the shelf and look at them yourself. This is the best hub design I think.
------------------
card11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks