1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Pros and Cons of Front vs. Rear porting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I curious as to the differences of front and rear porting. My speakers (JBL S26) are front ported but other popular speakers are rear ported like the Paradigm Mini Monitors for example.

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

you can make a great front ported speaker and a great rear ported speaker.....no real difference in my mind

what bothers me is people who try to steer clear of rear ported speakers because they shouldn't be placed next to a wall.....no speaker should be placed next to a wall!

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

"no speaker should be placed next to a wall"

why do they place speakers on the wall in theaters?

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

ahh sorry....i shouldn't have said it as an absolute rule.....more like a majority of the time thing.....usually just makes the sound "boomy" and "bloated"

i don't really see it as a necessity to stick away from the walls for surround speakers as they don't get that much action anyway ('cept for multichannel audio)

5. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

You just don't want the port that is in the rear of the speaker enclosure to be facing too close to a wall. I think 6" is good enough.

6. Mark Fitzsimmons

My mains are front ported and have about a foot between them and the wall, this sound like good placement?

And if placing next to walls creates boomy bass, then why is it recomended to put subs in corners?

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Damn good question Mark. Boomyness is caused by a spike in the frequency response around a narrow band. When the source material plays through the spike, the bass suddenly jumps out of the soundfield. Placing main speakers close to walls increases the risk of a room induced spike toward the bottem of the sattelites range (80-200 Hz). The difference with a sub is that corner loading has the effect of amplifying all frequencies. The FR of a sub will be lumpy in any untreated room in any location. Putting it in a corner may make it lumpier or flatter. The advantage is that it will be louder at almost all frequencies. ITs like the corner is acting like a megaphone.

8. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    I should also point out that putting the sub in the corner is not always the best place for it. For example, if your room is a perfect cube placing it in the corner is probably the worst place for it.
    Check out this link for a good way to pin point the best location for your sub.
    Here's a link for proper speaker placement.
    - Mike

9. Mark Fitzsimmons

I think my speaker and sub placement is pretty solid. My placement goes hand in hand with the recomendations of audioholics. I did test sub placement and in fact corner placement is best in my room.

10. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

My Klipsch RF3's are about 2 feet from the walls in my bedroom. They are not boomy. (Very clean and deep) When 6 inches from the wall the don't sound to good.

11. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I agree - 6" is too close for mine also (Mordaunt-Short 902 bookshelfs used as surrounds), but I can't move them further out without affecting other furniture. I'm guessing that a minimum of 9" is necessary to avoid the bass spike with bookshelfs, though 12" would be ideal.