What's new

Proposing to g/f in Manhattan, need ideas... (1 Viewer)

Mark Roger

Agent
I am taking my girlfriend to New York for her birthday on May 25th and am going to propose to her during the trip. I thought about doing it over dinner. Can any of you New York folks help a brother out with resteraunt ideas?

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
The inside of a restaraunt is forgetable. doing it outdoors in one of the most breathtaking cities on earth is forever remembered.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I tried to do the same thing when we were in Paris at a famous restuarant that she always wanted to eat at.
Unlike movies with ideal settings, there was always a waiter or someone around...or you just dont know if at the moment they will dump the soup on your table. There was a little park next to the place where I finally did it.
It was funny, she thought I was going to break up with her because I was so quiet and nervous. I basically had to smuggle her ring in the country since if I declared it, she would know... a little stressed to say the least.
It's great that your making it special and I am sure wherever you do it, it will be great.
BTW It's a great way to get free drinks afterwards and at $20 a martini in Paris it was very nice!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Tavern on the Green across from Central Park is very romantic. And it is pretty easy to take the time-honored, traditional, tourist carriage ride in this area.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
With all due respect, Lew, Tavern on the Green is for tourists. I wouldn't set foot in there.

The Rainbow Room on a clear night is one of the most romantic spots in New York, but I'm not sure they're open except on weekends. Consider the following, but be warned that some are pretty expensive (and whatever you do, make reservations now, even if you have to make duplicates and later cancel all but one of them):

Capsouto Freres (TriBeCa and almost impossible to find, but worth the trip)
Cafe des Artistes (Upper West Side)
Union Square Cafe (Union Square -- duh!)
11 Madison (Gramercy Park)
Osteria al Doge (theater district; wouldn't make most people's lists of romantic spots, but go after 8pm, and you'll have the place mostly to yourself; my wife and I dine there late sometimes, and it's a cozy spot)

The Zagat site now charges for access to their reviews, but you can get particulars at no charge at Citysearch.

M.

Mark Roger

Agent
Thanks for the input everyone. It's a huge relief to have some suggestions. I have been to the city a few times but pretty much lost on things to do and where to dine. My girlfriend has no idea, and she has never been to New York. She has gone all over the U.S. but never NYC and has always wanted to go. We are staying at the Stanhope Park Hyatt and will have a nice view of Central Park.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
With all due respect, Lew, Tavern on the Green is for tourists. I wouldn't set foot in there.
:laugh:

Too true, I’d never go for the food, that’s for sure.

But I will say that I can remember this place working well, with a young lady, long before I was married. However, if I were not going for the Central Park tourist route, I’d pick either Tabla (on Madison Av.) which has very fine and innovative Indian food and is really a beautiful restaurant or Jean Georges, which is not necessarily a beautiful setting, but the service is immaculate and personal and the food outstanding.

Also if your intended realizes that you can afford the tab at Jean Georges, you will be in all the way. This is, appropriately in the Trump Tower.

Another place to consider is Union Pacific—great food and it is small and personal. Around Union Square.

I’m keeping track of your restaurant recommendations, Michael. I don’t often get to New York these days, but I love to eat and always try to maximize my dinning when I am there.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Tabla is right next to 11 Madison; both are owned by Danny Meyer, who also owns Union Square Cafe. My wife won't eat Indian food, so I've never been.

We are staying at the Stanhope Park Hyatt and will have a nice view of Central Park.
Then let me suggest one other spot: La Cote Basque on 55th Street is within walking distance of your hotel and is one of the grand old French restaurants in the city. It's been a while since I've been there, but I've heard nothing to indicate that it's fallen behind.

M.

RichardDP

Auditioning
Um...

Is it too obvious to suggest the top of the Empire State Building?? I think that would stick with her for quite awhile.

Rainbow Room as mentioned is great.

Bouley in TriBeca is a fabulous!! and $$$ place but worth it.

Or you could always just propose DURING a handsome cab ride through Central Park. If you tip the driver well, he'll even go along with you (i.e. stop the horse, take you in front of The Plaza, etc)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Hmm ... there is a great restaurant in Queens right on the water called WATERS EDGE that has spectacular views of the city and is very romantic ...

Although if you take her there from Manhattan she might suspect something. Maybe I am naive but tourists rarely leave the city to go to the boroughs.

The place has never failed me so far as far as WOW factor with the ladies :) It is pretty pricey but the food is excellent and the atmosphere is amazing.

They actually have their own boat that goes to the restaurant from 34th street.

Check it out here:
http://www.watersedge.citysearch.com

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Why should they be any different than Manhattan residents?
Oh yeah ... I forgot about the city dwellers :)

One more suggestion for the boroughs ... THE RIVER CAFE in Brooklyn. As Waters Edge it overlooks Manhattan, but the downtown area. Of course since WTC is not there any longer it is quite a different view ... but stunning nonetheless.

Here is a link to that:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7329946/

Mark Roger

Agent
Thanks for all of the help. I ended up going to the River Cafe last Friday and she said "yes"! Everything was great and the staff was amazing. Thanks again guys!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Congratulations, Mark! I'm just sorry you had to put up with NYC's coldest, soggiest Memorial Day weekend in living memory. (But you probably didn't even notice. :) )

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks