What's new

Proposed System, your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

I have decided on the following system. I will be purchasing it through amazon.com as I can not purchase a silver coloured Yamaha Receiver in Australia. And generally it seems cheaper purchasing it online even after taking into account exhange rates and shipping charges.

Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5760S or RX-V650Ti
Speakers: JBL E150P (sub)
JBL EC25 (center)
JBL E20 (front)
JBL E20 (rear)

I am not sure of the difference between the two receivers. Both seem very similar. And I am hoping the sub I am getting will be sufficient. I am limited to US$1500 and the room size will vary.

I am wondering also whether it worth getting the better receiver (HTR-5790S or RX-V750Ti).

What do you think?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you can afford the 5790 I would go for it, mainly for the automatic parametric/room eq built into the YPAO included with that model. The 5790 is pretty much a RX-V1400 w/ slightly different cosmetics. The 5760 and below have an automatic setup system that Yamaha still calls YPAO but it does not include the parametric/room eq which is the best part of YPAO.

Your speaker selection looks good for bookshelfs in that price range. I would consider a different subwoofer if possible. The last two lines of JBL subs have had alot of quality control issues. What brands are available locally?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Moved to A.V Sources area. Please ask about specific systems and specific models in the appropriate hardware-related area. Basics is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

Thanks for your reply Stephen.

The brands available are as follows
Energy
Klipsch
JBL
Yamaha
Sony
Boston Acoustics

Thats all I can think of from the top of my head. Alot of brands I have heard mentioned in these forums arent available here in Australia. Unless ofcourse I am looking in the wrong places.

Where can I learn about these differences with YPAO? That was one of the main reasons I jumped from the RX-V450 to the RX-V650. That and I can get it in silver.

A lot of sales people are trying to sell me the RX-V450 and they dont seem to listen!

What is also odd is that we cant get the HTR series here. I am not that concerned since there always seems to be a match with one in the RX series.

And I have learnt I cant purchase the receiver through amazon.com as in the US you guys run on 120V, whereas here its 240V. A difference I hadnt really thought about.

Change in plans. Proposed system is now as follows:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V650
Fronts: Polk RTi6
Surround: Polk RTi4
Centre: Polk CSi3

But I need help on a sub. I listened to the Polk PSW303 and hated it. Well 'hate' is such a strong word. It just didnt have enough bass. I thought perhaps an 8inch sub just wasnt enough.

So I need to trial some more ... any recommendations?

The following have been mentioned:
1) Klipsh 10in sub (downward firing) not sure of model
2) AMC B1-30

But that is all I have thus far ... help!

I have been looking at purchasing a 2nd hand HSU VTF-2 but they are hard to come by. I cant afford one new.

Change in plans. Proposed system is now as follows:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V650
Fronts: Polk RTi6
Surround: Polk RTi4
Centre: Polk CSi3

But I need help on a sub. I listened to the Polk PSW303 and hated it. Well 'hate' is such a strong word. It just didnt have enough bass. I thought perhaps an 8inch sub just wasnt enough.

So I need to trial some more ... any recommendations?

The following have been mentioned:
1) Klipsh 10in sub (downward firing) not sure of model
2) AMC B1-30

But that is all I have thus far ... help!

I have been looking at purchasing a 2nd hand HSU VTF-2 but they are hard to come by. I cant afford one new.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you want to consider a locally available sub, you might want to check out the Boston Acoustics PV700/900. I have the 900 and while all the SVSers will say it's not up to par with their favourite (and I honestly can't say, I've never heard one), I can state that it is quite good. The two Bostons are identical except in the amp, where the 900 has a 300 watts/RMS vs 200 for the 700. I don't know your budget though, nor what they cost in Australia. On a smaller scale, the PV500 is pretty nice for its size and power, but lacks the slam and lower octave oomph of the other two. It is, however, very well built, and in a small room with corner placement, might do well, especially with music.

Good luck.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you want to consider a locally available sub, you might want to check out the Boston Acoustics PV700/900. I have the 900 and while all the SVSers will say it's not up to par with their favourite (and I honestly can't say, I've never heard one), I can state that it is quite good. The two Bostons are identical except in the amp, where the 900 has a 300 watts/RMS vs 200 for the 700. I don't know your budget though, nor what they cost in Australia. On a smaller scale, the PV500 is pretty nice for its size and power, but lacks the slam and lower octave oomph of the other two. It is, however, very well built, and in a small room with corner placement, might do well, especially with music.

Good luck.

Excellent! I will check that one out this afternoon.

To give you an idea on pricing here in Australia, the Polk PSW303 sub costs AU$699. And I can purchase a second hand HSU VTF-2 Mk I sub for AU$700.

Its frustrating when I see that I could purchase a HSU sub new, and possibly a better one for a similar price in the US. I wonder if the free-trade agreement will abolish all these import duties.

Excellent! I will check that one out this afternoon.

To give you an idea on pricing here in Australia, the Polk PSW303 sub costs AU$699. And I can purchase a second hand HSU VTF-2 Mk I sub for AU$700.

Its frustrating when I see that I could purchase a HSU sub new, and possibly a better one for a similar price in the US. I wonder if the free-trade agreement will abolish all these import duties.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Oops, I should have paid closer attention. The 700 is about an inch or so smaller in all dimensions, and goes to a rated 29hz rather than 26 at +/- 3 dB. In my instruction manual, they use the rear panel of the 700 to illustrate the setup and state it's identical to 900. They meant the panel, I guess. Other than that, have I missed anything?:b

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Oops, I should have paid closer attention. The 700 is about an inch or so smaller in all dimensions, and goes to a rated 29hz rather than 26 at +/- 3 dB. In my instruction manual, they use the rear panel of the 700 to illustrate the setup and state it's identical to 900. They meant the panel, I guess. Other than that, have I missed anything?:b

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
No biggy Paul-it is just that I have seen both in person & the PV900 was definitely more physically imposing than the 700. Am considering buying the little PV500 (I live in an apartment).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
No biggy Paul-it is just that I have seen both in person & the PV900 was definitely more physically imposing than the 700. Am considering buying the little PV500 (I live in an apartment).

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I saw both at the store, but they were in different rooms so I never did a side by side comparison. I was originally going to get a PV500 but they upgraded me to a 900 when I had trouble with my new receiver. After two bum units within a week, and no real support from the manufacturer, my dealer switched me to another brand (one that I intended to buy before trying the "bum" one) and upgraded me for my troubles. That was good service. Sadly, since we moved, they're over 1000 km away.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I saw both at the store, but they were in different rooms so I never did a side by side comparison. I was originally going to get a PV500 but they upgraded me to a 900 when I had trouble with my new receiver. After two bum units within a week, and no real support from the manufacturer, my dealer switched me to another brand (one that I intended to buy before trying the "bum" one) and upgraded me for my troubles. That was good service. Sadly, since we moved, they're over 1000 km away.

The 'bum' one being the PV500? Is their a quality issue with B&W subs, or is this just one of those unlucky circumstances when you get a dud one?

I couldnt get around to listening to them yesterday, I will attempt to take a long lunch today.

... LUNCH PASSES BY...

Just got back. Coudnt hear Boston Subs but heard the B&W ones and was immediately impressed. Now if I could only afford one.

I did however get the following:
Polk RTi6
Polk RTi4
Polt CSi3
for a total of AU$1080. This includes 5m of some crappy speaker cable. I was rather happy with my wheelin' and dealin'. I got him down from AU$1400.

Now all I need to do is get a receiver and a sub. ;)

The sub I will get second hand.

Thanks for your help. You have been a tremendous help.

The 'bum' one being the PV500? Is their a quality issue with B&W subs, or is this just one of those unlucky circumstances when you get a dud one?

I couldnt get around to listening to them yesterday, I will attempt to take a long lunch today.

... LUNCH PASSES BY...

Just got back. Coudnt hear Boston Subs but heard the B&W ones and was immediately impressed. Now if I could only afford one.

I did however get the following:
Polk RTi6
Polk RTi4
Polt CSi3
for a total of AU$1080. This includes 5m of some crappy speaker cable. I was rather happy with my wheelin' and dealin'. I got him down from AU$1400.

Now all I need to do is get a receiver and a sub. ;)

The sub I will get second hand.

Thanks for your help. You have been a tremendous help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks