What's new

Proposed HT Room Layout (1 Viewer)

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
So I've started working on my HT room layout. Overall I think it works, but I do have one concern... overhead projector. So I have HVAC ducts abobe the middle of the area I want to use. My joists above are at 9' but then again I have conduits water etc.. that runs along that. So I am planning on doing 2x4x8 + the 3" for above and below boards so that puts me at 8' 3" for the main room.

However, to work around the duct work I need to drop down in the middle to 7' 11" + a few inches room etc... prob get me down to around 7'8" drop height. So my question comes in... does this seem feasible? How tall does the room need to be /w the projector? Below is a few shots of what I'm working with. I could move some ducts etc.. I don't want to cut my media room budget. Getting the wife to agree to any of this has been like pulling teeth.

My other concern is having 14' across - the walls etc... takes me closer to 13'... I guess thats bigger than I am thinking. There are other spots in the basement I could use... but I just don't think any would work. You can see the plumbling roughin is like in the middle of the section behind the stairs so that kills that area. I keep questioning it but really that has to work ok no? Sorry LOL I am so... worried that I will pick the wrong spot etc...

I am planning on doing a motorized 120" sceeen (I think). I have a 7.2" surround system I will setup in there.

Measurements of area:

gyYeb7.jpg

Angled View:
bcP4q8.jpg

HajwGy.jpg

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Man I miss having a basement to do stuff like this in..not to mention all the STORAGE SPACE!! :)

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I do love the basement but I want it better! :) Part of our deal is at least half is being storage space still. Think Ill do a bar area after /w the plumbing rough in.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
13' wide is fine for 3 seats wide seating.

As for two rows of seating with a 7' 11' ceiling height, it comes down to screen size, mounting height and projector throw distance.

Have you given thought to the area to the right of the stairs, as a dedicated theater?

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
How many bodies do you need to accommodate?

You could hide much of the HVAC sheet in a soffit up front, and go with an acoustically transparent screen, which would also hide your
speakers/subs up front.

How do those stairs land at the basement level?
Basement.jpg

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
13' wide is fine for 3 seats wide seating.

As for two rows of seating with a 7' 11' ceiling height, it comes down to screen size, mounting height and projector throw distance.

Have you given thought to the area to the right of the stairs, as a dedicated theater?

I think that is what we're going to end up doing. The issue there is the ejector pump along /w the water main comes in there. I think my final plan is going to be this... I hate the bathroom placement this way but that is outside this whole thing lol... the original home builders put the roughin in a horrible spot... but that's outside of my main concern which is the HT room. Probably a 100-115" screen, The 2 edge closets will hold the water main on the top left corner and the ejector pump along the left wall in the other closet.

The issue doing flipping it 90 degree is there is a post there.

Attachments

• 3D Floor Plan_FINAL_rev.jpg
    3D Floor Plan_FINAL_rev.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 74

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
Now you are boxing in your speakers, and there's no symmetry re side walls up front. Plus your seating is on a wall.

Not so good for audio.

Are you absolutely tied to that exact plumbing rough-in? Concrete can be broken and lines moved a bit.

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Now you are boxing in your speakers, and there's no symmetry re side walls up front. Plus your seating is on a wall.

Not so good for audio.

Are you absolutely tied to that exact plumbing rough-in? Concrete can be broken and lines moved a bit.

The storage area has the furnace and water heater.

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
What I was wondering if there's some flex room with the bathroom and then you could flip the play area and media room, as utilize that 14' wide space as a dedicated space.

Dulanic

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
The immovable objects are circled in red. I thought about the play room as media, but I just couldn't find a good layout where that worked well. + It keeps in less secluded as I will likely have to move a family member in at some point so I wanted to try to keep some separation between media room & BR.

Attachments

• 3D Floor Plan_FINAL_rev.jpg
    3D Floor Plan_FINAL_rev.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 70

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
The ejector and the water main could be hidden yet still be easily accessible, with an acoustically transparent screen. You don't have much in the needs of seating so you could do a dedicated theater in that space. I am thinking something along the lines of Art Install's The Loft, less the reflective brick and av gear up front.

http://www.artinstall.ru/en/projects/loft

The toilet could be rotated and the shower and sink drain lines could be moved over.

Attachments

• dedicated theater.jpg
    dedicated theater.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks