What's new

Proposed basement HT - feedback appreciated! (1 Viewer)

Hi! I'd like some feedback on this potential home theater system for my basement. I'll be building the basement in December, putting the wiring and ceiling-recessed screen in at that time. After some internet research, reading, and a trip to the local audio store, here's what I'm considering for the system. Feedback and suggestions appreciated, as this is my first home theater/surround sound anything!

1. BenQ PE7700 DLP Projector ($2500)
I can make it dark down in this basement, so the 1100 lumens should be okay, right?
Mounted on ceiling

2. Da-Lite Model C screen ($320)
16:9 (58" x 104", 119" diag)
high contrast matte white
ceiling recessed
I think the gain is 1.1

3. Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver ($1100)
Should give me digital from DVD player to projecter, via HDMI cables. Also break out audio and send it to the speakers.

4. DVD player: Toshiba SD-5980 ($140)
Just a simple DVD player should be fine, right?

5. Front three speakers: Triad bronze in-ceiling 8 ($700 each)

6. Back and side speakers: Omni round 6 ($250 each)
mounted in ceiling, of course

7. Subwoofer: Skilsch subwoofer RW-12 ($600)
Mounted in a window-seat under the basement window that exists directly behind the screen. I'll put some sort of grille on the front of the window-seat, and the speaker will sit behind it.

Total price: About $7500

The wiring all goes to a point on the right side, up high. There will be two binding post panels (each holding 4 pairs of posts) there. The receiver, DVD player, and cable box all sit on the shelf on this right-hand side.

The room is about 19 feet from the screen to the back. It's about 16 feet wide. The ceiling is 7 feet high. The floor will be a low carpet, the walls painted sheetrock, the ceiling painted sheetrock.

There will be a desk under the receiver shelf, where a computer (and maybe a PS2 or XBOX or something) will sit. I'd like to hook these things up to the home theater, with a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I can sit on the couch and enjoy the big screen.

The reason for the expensive receiver is that I don't want my digital video signal to drop to analog at any point. What are some other receiver options?

The less expensive I can make this system, the sooner I'll be able to enjoy it. I'm doing a buy-as-I-earn thing, so it will take a year or two to get completed. For example, I don't know if I'll even get around to buying the rear surround speakers. :)

Which components are wisest to purchase first? I'm thinking the speakers will hold their value longest, so I should buy them first. A receiver would be next, probably. The last thing to buy will probably be the projector, as it will drop the most in price, right? The DVD player can be purchased any time, I suspect, as it's cheap.

What are some other in-ceiling speakers that might be cheaper, yet sound good?

Again, whatever anyone would like to comment on, please do!

Thanks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Eric!

I’ll comment on a few things:
Probably sound logic, depending on how long you’ll be spreading out your purchases.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Here's what I did for my first theater on a low budget:
SP4805 projector - $1,000.00
DIY Blackout cloth screen - $70.00
Best Buy HT package Yamaha receiver with JBL speakers & 10" sub - under $500.00
Already had a DVD
Total $1,570.00
I could enjoy a 92" screen and full surround sound right away. My room was relatively small, 12 x 14, so it didn't take much to fill it with sound. I connected the DVD directly to the projector.
We enjoy many action or si-fi movies so the surround speakers are a must for us. If you watch drama movies, surrounds are used less.
I have sense up-graded my 3 front speakers to JBL E30s and EC25. The old fronts I doubled up on my surround sides. Now I have a set of surrounds for each row of seats.
Dave

Hmm, wow, that's a good idea, Dave.

Just get a starter system so I can enjoy it first, and later on update stuff.

I'll shop around for a HT package, and see what I can find. That, with the projector, should make a decent starter system. I'll wire the room for speakers, with binding posts in all the right spots, and just mount speakers to the walls instead of built into the ceiling. Except for the front center speaker, that needs to be in the ceiling in front of the ceiling-recessed screen.

Thanks!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Eric,
I do not think I could wait a year or two for any project. In less than a year I built my theater, tore it apart, and rebuilt a second one. You can check it out here: The Trilogy Being as I did the work myself and the insurance company reimbursed me at contractor rate, my second theater has many upgrades sooner than I expected, courtesy of the insurance co. Revenge Of The Sith was much more enjoyable in the theater last night, than it would have been on my 32" tv hooked to a stereo. :emoji_thumbsup:

I will probably look into a different projector when the bulb burns out. It is hard to believe the bulbs cost so much. I would like to upgrade the sub someday to a better one with lower Hz. Then I use the one in the theater with my living room stereo.

If you search around it the "Speaker" or Receiver" sections of this forum, you will find many recommendations for low cost good quality HT systems. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
Dave

Thanks for the info, drobbins.

So far I've purchased the screen (Da-Lite in-ceiling, manual pull, high contract matte white, 16:9 (54" x 104", 119" diagonal), 100' of 14' gauge speaker wire, two wall plates with binding posts, and two books: Home Theater Hacks, Audio/Video Cable Installer's Pocket Guide. The project has begun!

I'm researching an infinite baffle instead of buying a subwoofer. Looks like a fun project. It will go behind the screen, but near ground level. The speakers will aim toward the audience from the front of a window seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks