Prophecy - DD or PCM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Artur Meinild, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I just rewatched the Prophecy (1995, God's Army) on my surround setup, and I noticed that both my DVD player and receiver indicates that the soundtrack is 2-channel Dolby Digital.
    However, both DVD Empire and Express says that the title is PCM, and the Dolby logo is nowhere to be found on the box.
    Now I'm really confused, is this title DD or PCM, anyone know the truth? [​IMG]

2. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

it certainly could be PCM. THe DVD standard allows at least a DD or PCM track to be up to snuff. Some receivers show a PCM track as a DD track.

3. Artur Meinild

Yeah, I know it *could* be PCM, but is it really??? My DVD player also show DD...

Anybody who own this title care to elaborate?

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

If your player and receiver say DD 2.0 then that's what you're hearing. See if there is an alternate audio track that might be PCM. If you don't find it...then the webpostings are probably in error.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Some DVD players can output a DD signal as PCM (you have to set it to do this in the set-up menu) but I personally haven't heard of a player that can output a PCM signal as DD 2.0. I mean why would they?

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

All DVD players can convert the Dolby Digital signal to a 2 channel PCM digital output. This makes them compatible with standard stereo D/A converters and older pro-logic decoders with digital (pcm) inputs.

None of them, as you state, would compress a PCM bitstream on a DVD into a DD signal.

-dave

7. Artur Meinild

Yeah, I guess the websites are wrong then...