What's new

Properly Adjusting My SVS? (1 Viewer)

Pete Austin

Agent
Hey All,

I've had my SVS 20-39 PC+ for about three months now and could not be any happier with it and its performance. I've calibrated it to 85Hz according to SVS's manual and my RS meter, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the most out out the sub. My question is should I calibrate the volume down by adjusting the gain knob on the sub (it is at the 10 o'clock position now), or should I be using my receiver's bass management to turn the levels down? In other words, is there any difference at all between the following scenarios:

1.) Calibrating to 85Hz with the sub's gain at 12 o'clock (or higher) and receiver's bass management set to -10 db

or . . .

2.) Calibrating to 85Hz with the sub's gain at 9 o'clock (or lower) and receiver's bass management at +2

I realize this is a rather simple question but I just can't stand wondering if I'm getting every ounce of performance out of my sub. Any response would be really helpful. Thanks.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
General rule of thumb is to set the receiver at 1/4 (-5 if -10 to +10) and bring in the level with the sub amp's knob.

I believe this is due to the fact that the receiver's pre-out can be clipped easily, and will send a dirty signal if run too hot. So, let the sub amp do more of the work.

The possible downside to that is that the auto-on may not "hear" enough of a signal to turn on right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks