What's new

Proper way to terminate RG6 dual shield w/ Digicon DS6 connector (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I was looking to pick up this kit:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...oom=zoom#xview

Once you strip the cable are you supposed to flare the braid back over the outer jacket and then slide the connector on and crimp it down, or do you just slide the connector on and crimp?

I looked for a hot-to guide but didn't see anything.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Hi, I did come across that site while doing a google search. However the DS6 is an F connector, and from what Kurt @ BJC said the 'flaring of the braid onto the outer jacket' really depends on the connector.

I also found another thread on the Digicon connector. However even though the original post is asking the identical question nobody really answered it. :frowning:

http://216.130.168.108/showthread.php?t=1586

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Today I borrowed my buddys compression crimper, stripper, dual shield perfect vision RG6, and the blue Digicon connectors. After making a test strip I noticed the strippers were adjusted so that it was cutting the braid comletely off! That can't be a good thing, can it? Just think....he's doing all of his terminations this way, lol.

It doesn't appear that it's necessary to flare the braid back. The tolerance is so tight that the center of the Digicon slides under the braid. After you flush up the white insulation to the bottom the connector nut you just slide it into the crimper and give her a squeeze. The Digicon is definitely a nice connector to work with.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Actually I need to correct my last post. I just received a set of the Zenith compression crimpers, and after I RTFM it outlines the proper way to strip and prep the coax, then how to crimp the connector (in this case the Digicon).

The guide states that you should fold or flare the braid back over the outer jacket before you slide the connector on. I ran into one of the local Cox cable techs and he confirmed that this is the proper method for any F connector.

A PDF guide to stripping and prepping coax.
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/manual...PPER_HOWTO.pdf

The bad thing about the Zenith crimper is that you don't get a lot of leverage compared to other compression tools. I find that it takes both hands to get a full crimp.

The Cox tech also mentioned that they just recently switched to the compression connectors they really are a superior F connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks