Proper way to connect Sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ruben Zamora, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys. on the back of my Onkyo 575X theres a sub out. But on the sub I'm getting, JBL PB12, theres both right and Left input. How do I do this. Do i need a 1->2 cable or can it plug into either the R or L input on the sub.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You can do it either way, but most people seem to prefer using an RCA “y” adapter (1 female to 2 males).

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

In my personal experience, my sub is louder at the same levels with a Y adapter than it is without.
    This just may be the fault of my lower end sub, as I've been told this shouldn't happen...
    ..and not to mention louder still with the speaker level inputs, but that's another thread another time. [​IMG]
    I just recently got a 4m monster cable with a Y adapter from buy.com for $30 (shipping included).

4. Ruben Zamora

Wane, dont you mean 1male to 2 males.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No, because most people run a standard RCA cable to a sub, which has males at both ends, and they would need an adapter at the sub: 1 female to 2 males.
    Of course, there’s more than one way to skin this cat. [​IMG] If you’re the “rare bird” with a male-to-female RCA cable, you would need an adapter with males all around.

6. Ruben Zamora

oH I GET IT. your talking about using an adapter. I thought there was an actual single cable that split at the end. Nevermind. Now i see that wouldnt work. You were right [​IMG] My bad [​IMG]
    Thanks wayne, I'll go get one at Radio Shack tomorrow.

7. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Ruben, there are sub cables with built-in Y adapters. My Ultralink cable is set up that way. It was cheaper to buy it that way than to buy a single ended cable with a Y adapter.

Larry.

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

There is really no advantage to using the Y. Sure, the sub will be louder, but you're just going to trim that down to the correct level anyway and you're back where you started except with another RCA connection to cause trouble.

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i just use a plain old Rat Shack single cable. no Y adapter or anything. just plug it into one of those inputs and you'll be fine.