proper viewing distance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Plaza, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Aaron Plaza

Aaron Plaza Auditioning

I recall reading somewhere that there is a rule of thumb for calculating the proper distance to sit from a tv. There were two numbers, one for 16x9 and one for 4x3. The 16x9 was an easy round number like 1.5 or something. Anyone know what the correct ratio is. I could flip through my old magazines but that could take forever. I have the ratios for proper acoustics. My plan is to design a home thaeater in the basement of our house being built.

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

3. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    There have been varying criteria in this catagory. There is a general rule in film theaters that a 30 degree field of view is appropriate to provide enough image to involve the person in the action. With video it is a function also of resolution. How close can you sit to the screen before you start to see the scan lines or pixel structure? If you plan to set it up for HDTV you will be the closest. Should your room dictate a limited choice of seating area then that will also determine how wide the screen can be. If your priority is sound then you'll need to consider the importance of having some distance behind the primary seating area for multi-channel audio mixes that are engineered with speakers behind the listener. This would also come into play with EX and ES center rear film sound. Too wide of a screen or too close of a seating position tends to cause side-to-side head movement. This gets tiring. For a relaxing and involving experience you want your eyes to move but not your head. Compromises can always be made as long as the goal is obtained. Is this a dedicated theater or a mult-purpose room? Have you spoken at all to any custom installers? Professionals can save you a lot of time but their expertise is their stock in trade of course. There are so many variables it is difficult to suggest much without knowing your lifestyle issues and the room.

4. Aaron Plaza

Aaron Plaza Auditioning

George,
    The room is starting to be designed as a dedicated HT. Whether the end result is that i dont know. I havent talked to any pros yet but i plan on it.