What's new

Proper use of tools? (1 Viewer)

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to make sure I'm using my tools properly.. Before when cutting out speaker holes I have used a jig saw and undercut the speaker holes, and then filed them out to get a perfect fit.

Now with a router or plunge router, I heard that you should still cut the hole with a jigsaw, and finish with the router. I was told that the router bits would get eaten up quickly if I was cutting the hole out and that it would take a while as I would have to make multiple passes by varying the depth of the cut.

Whats the preferred method of making your speaker holes? Router only, or jig saw first and router to finish, or perhaps just stick with the low-tech "I can only afford the jigsaw method."

Thanks

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Use a router with an up-cut spiral bit for all steps.

Use a circle jig - build one or buy one.
Mark your center points.
If flush mounting the drivers cut your rebates.
Cut your driver hole.

No need for a jigsaw.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I depends on your jig really. The jasper jigs call for a 1/4" bit because the markings are calculated with a 1/4" bit but if you built your own you could use whatever.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
You can use 1/2" bits with the Jasper, just count down 4 peg holes on the jig from whatever size you want cut. I haven't used a 1/4" bit with my Jasper in a long time. Long live 1/2" spiral bits! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks