Proper speaker wiring question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bolivar G, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Do the lengths of the mains and center have to be the same length?? Say one speaker is right next to the reciever and the other one is well away. Do still make them the same length even thou you will have a bunch of wire laying on the ground??
    And also do the surrounds have to be the same length also??

Or will the lenghts not matter at all?? Please help, wiring my system this weekend to better wire.

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Over short distances, it probably won't matter, but I always make certain my mains and center have identical lengths, as well as my surrounds. I also like to have some extra length to play with speaker positioning more easily.

3. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Thank for the reply Robb.
    Is having a bunch of speaker wire coiled on the ground bad??

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no reason or benefit to having the mains and center the same length.

Avoid coiling extra wire.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

the lengths are not an issue but i'd leave a bit extra to allow for future repositioning. coiling the wire makes no difference with regards to the sound.

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Chu is probably correct about the coiling in the real world, but it is hypothetically possible to add undesired inductance to speaker cable by coiling it. It would probably take 10 plus loops around a tight radius for this effect to be audible, but why take the chance ? There is absolutely no benefit to equalizing speaker wire legnth.

7. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

The ONLY advantage to having your wires the same length is in re-sale value. I guarantee you that people will shy away from buying different length wires from you should you decide to sell in the future. [​IMG]
    My $.02
    Pete

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I posted the following some time back...

Inductive coils are made by coiling a 'single' wire and current flows in one direction only. A speaker wire is composed of two wires, generally in parallel, and the current that flows in the two wires is both equal and opposite. Any electromagnetic fields that are present basically cancel out so that any inductance in the coiled wire would not differ to any significant degree from the uncoiled wire.

9. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Thank for the answers everyone.
    Wired up my system this weekend. The lengths are not all the same but I left enough slack for repositioning and moving speakers around for cleaning around them.