Proper lighting for TV viewing.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Dreiss, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

I just set up my Loewes Aconda 38" set last night. Amazing set, but it has a slight curve that reflects glare where ever you sit. (From a lamp by the side of the couch.)
    I want to mount a small lamp behind the set that will illuminate the room while avoiding any glare on the screen.
    Isn't there some specific color temperature light bulb that is recommended for this sort of thing? I believe it matches the color temp. of the set making it easier on the eyes.
    Any recommendations, including brands and vendors, would be greatly welcomed.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The color temperature of the light is 6500 Kelvin. It is sold by a number of vendors, I bought a GE. You can pick it up at Lowes or Home Depot, along with a simple flourescent stick lamp. Some websites offer the lamp with filters to dim the light to 10% (I think) of the screen brightness as recommended by Avia, but I don't have any links. Someone else may . . . Anyone?

P.S. I have had significant eye surgery (retinal reattachment and complete replacement of vitreous in my right eye) and my vision is very sensitive. I found the above lamp to relieve any eyestrain I was experiencing in my HT.

3. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Try this one www.cinemaquestinc.com Click on the Ideal-Lume bias lighting link. You can replicate this with the correct parts from Home Depot, but the basic one isn't too bad in terms of price.

4. Kyle P

Kyle P Extra

If 6500 K is an important factor(which I am not convinced)any dimming done will drascically change not ony the color temp but also the color rendering index. The only lamps available that have a CRI rating of 100 (which is best) are incandescent which are not available in 6500 K.

5. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Sorry to be sarcastic, but surely you've considered turning off the lamp by the side of the couch while you watch TV. If you don't do that, any bias lighting behind the TV will be pretty much wasted.

As for the bias light itself, unless whatever's behind the TV is fairly homogenous in (gray scale) brightness and neutral in color, it won't be necessary to be too picky about bulb color since it will pick up color cast(s) from whatever it reflects from.

6. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator