Proper home theater hookup?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin C., Jan 24, 2005.

1. Kevin C.

Kevin C. Auditioning

I have been having trouble with my Comcast digital cable lately, and I spoke to them about it. They are sending a technitian out this week. In the mean time the guy on the phone said I should not have my cable running through my monster power source. He also suggested not running my video through my receiver (Pioneer 1014). I have had it like that for about two months with no problems. Will I get a better picture if I went directly to the TV with my component video from my cable box and just put the sound through the receiver or keep the set up the way it is, and when the guy comes out have him tell me how bad comcast is and the signal is not strong enough.

Thanks for your help.
    KC

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Kevin, it's always best to run your video cables direct to TV, unless you don't have enough inputs on TV.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Yep, direct feed is always preferred when possible.

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, does the problem go away when you go direct????

They are telling you not to plug their box into a power conditioner?? Hmm, that does seem like some hoo-ey there for sure.

5. Kevin C.

Kevin C. Auditioning

I appreciate the info, would the difference be noticable by going direct? The way the room is set up it would be difficult, but of a great improvment I can move some things around.
    They said that the cable box has a surge protector built in, they did not say I should do the power just the cable.

Thanks again
    KC

6. John S

John S Producer

Well you certainly should be going direct just to make sure, the AVR switching is not muck'n it up. You will likely see no difference, just not sure what the component switching on that model is rated really. I find 50mhz or better to be quite adequate with no visable degredations.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kevin,

I don’t expect we can legitimately tell you that running direct to the TV instead of through the receiver will solve your problem, since you really didn’t tell us what the problem is.

Any signal degradation you may get from going through the receiver should be virtually negligible, unless the receiver is really poor quality. If going direct does get a better picture, you’ll have to weigh that improvement against the inconvenience of not going through the receiver.

I suggest first testing to make sure you will get a better picture before you go through the trouble to make the necessary changes to go direct. You could use a long antenna cable with F-to-RCA adapters on both ends, to make a temporary signal feed from the cable box to the TV (i.e., using the RCA video jacks, not the antenna connections).

That said, the most common source or cable TV problems is poorly-terminated cables between the wall and the box.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt