Proper height to mount new JBL speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulSch, Sep 10, 2002.

1. PaulSch

PaulSch Auditioning

What is the current advice as to the height to mount side speakers? For that matter what about heights for the fronts and rear surrounds? My family room where the HT resides is about 25' x 25'. The ceiling is about 9.5' at the walls and slopes up to 13 ft at the center of the room. The floor is carpeted and the ceiling is painted wood. There are bookcases at the front and rear of the room, but the left front speaker has to be bracket mounted because of a recessed wet bar in that area. Currently the front speakers are about 8' and the center one is at 7'. The center one is going to be fixed in height because of the TV position which is built in and it needs to sit on a shelf just above the TV cutout but most of our viewing is on a pulldown screen and with a Sony VW10HT LCD projector. The center speaker sound is heard through the screen. The other speakers can be adjusted in height because of the bookcases. The front system will be JBL S36II and the center the corresponding S center. Thanks for the advice.

Paul

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

JBL recommends about 2 feet high stands. But if you can aim the tweeters from the L/R/C to the ear you might like the imaging/presentation better.
    Sitting down on a couch would make the S36 tweeter pretty close to head level if they were 2 feet from the ground so no need for tilt but you could still play with toe-in.
    The center should be on the same level as the mains but up to 3 feet above the mains is still fine.
    Surrounds can be generally 2-3 feet above ear level and the tweeters can point to the opposing surround.
    8 feet high center channel? I'd make sure it's aiming directly at the listener so as not to lose any of the "tweeter's" directional information. Maybe put the mains 5 feet high and aim them down as well. If it still sounds good without aiming them down you can thank JBL's EOS wave guide. [​IMG]

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think you cant say a specific place to put the speakers, Chris suggestion is a very good starting point, but you have to play with the placement until you feel them right.

A friend of mine bought four S36 six months ago, because he wanted timbre match, and like very much the caracteritics of the S36. He also used the recomendations of Dolby digital, on speakers height and distance between speakers, etc.

But niether him or me like the set up, we starting to playing with height and distance, until we found the perfect spot, it was 6 feet above the ground and about 80 degrees between speakers, but every room is different, furniture, dimensions, etc. So start with Chris suggestion, and play placement see what happens.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

4. PaulSch

PaulSch Auditioning

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just move them around and see if I can tell any difference. As non-audiophile as I am it should be pretty easy

Paul

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Paul,