Proper height for TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Apr 13, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I have read various tips on how far back to sit from a TV, depending on screen size, but I've never seen anyone address the issue of how high a TV should be set, relative to your seated height.

For instance, for my PC monitor, I have it set so that my eyes are roughly level with the top portion of my screen. I have read that this is the most ergonomic position and it works well for me.

But with home theater, I would imagine it is different. In a real theater, with a screen that towers above the audience, you are eyes would of course be nowhere near the level of the upper portion of the screen.

So--any theories out there about proper placement, height wise? I have a 27 inch TV, if that makes any difference...

2. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Come on, no one has an opinion on this?

3. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

Here is an opinion..... I think you should have the middle of the screen at least level with your line of sight, if not higher,I have no real reason for thinking this way other than that I prefer it. I would rather look up slightly than look down. If you have to look up a little it seems like you get drawn into the action more. Also lets say you have a 27" tv, are movies going to be more of a visual impact if you have the tv on a stand or if it is sitting on the floor? It would almost make it seem like a smaller tv by having to look down you know?
    I don't know, just my .02 cents [​IMG]