What's new

Proper/Best Wiring ? (1 Viewer)

Josh Duve

Grip
I am new to the Home Theater scene and was looking for some help on the best way to wire your systems.
ie.. optical, s-video, component etc..
I am also confused about wiring my satellite through s-video.
If someone could send a link or maybe an older post, to spare someone writing a long post explaining it.
Thanks,
Hat

EddieN

Agent
Okie Dokie Josh, let's see if I can do a good job at explaining this.
Component (Y,Pb,Pr) - this is the best kind of hookup, usually found on dvd players and some High Definition (HD) satellite boxes. You need this type of hookup to get a progressive signal to your set.
S-Video - pretty good hookup, not as good as component, but it seperates the luminance channel (the one that carries brightness and contrast) from the color channel, which is good. This hookup can be found on "Digital" cable boxes, VCRs, DVD players and pretty mush all satellite boxes.
Composite / RF - Blah, one RCA cable used to carry video. One Coax cable used for video and sound.
Good so far ? hope so ....
Now, hooking it up isn't too difficult. Let's get some info from ya and go on from there, post what kind of TV you have Model and Make (Toshiba 40H80), also what type of satellite box you have (RCA DRD420RE), and if you have a Receiver post that too (Sony STR-DE845) and anything else you might have, also list what kind of cables you have.
------------------
- Eddie

Josh Duve

Grip
Thanks alot Eddie. Here's my setup.
Receiver - Sony STR-DA333ES
DVD - Sony DVP-S360
Fronts - B&W 602 S2
Rears - B&W LM1
Center - B&W LCR6 S2
Sub - Sunfire True Signature
Monitor - Mitsubishi VS-50609
Sat - RCA DRD420RE
OK...
I have the DVD hooked to the Receiver via S-Video and Opti
I have the Satellite hooked to the TV via S-Video
What I am wondering is if I hooked the Sat to the receiver via S-Video and the hooked the Receiver to the TV via "Monitor", would it be any better. I haven't tried it yet. Or do you have any suggestions?
Josh

EddieN

Agent
WoW ... nice gear. OK, hook the DVD player directly to the TV using component cables, if you don't have any check outwww.bettercables.com or go to the local beast buy and get some, they're about 75 bux. Leave the DVD player hooked up to the Receiver using the optical cable, when you play dvd's does the receiver light up and get all funky ? Meaning the receiver should be doing the decoding of the DTS / DD track, I had mine setup wrong for a long long time. If you want you can hookup your satellite to your receiver then hook up the receiver to the TV using monitor out.
------------------
- Eddie

Josh Duve

Grip
Great Eddie, I will definately try those settings.
Thanks for your help.
------------------
Sony STR-DA333ES
Sony DVP-S360
B&W 602 S2
B&W LM1
B&W LCR6 S2
Sunfire True Signature
Mitsubishi VS-50609
RCA DRD420RE

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Since everyone tells everyone to search for questions before asking- I did & have a follow up :)
I just bought my receiver (denon avr1602), have a dvd player & a VCR and thats about all thats getting hooked up.... tv has s-video connection, vcr just regular a/v in/out.
SO....with this said. Should I run my s-video from tv to receiver & then a s-video back to the TV? Im assuming I just hook up my vcr a/v outs to the receiver & that should be it right? What does the coax/optical out from my dvd to receiver transfer? Im not going to start the whole which is better (i searched the forum for that answer) And whats the purpose the optical out from my receiver? Should I plug the dvd player & the vcr into the reciever outlets , or just hook em seperatly to a surge protector?
Boy, so full of questions & havent even taken the receiver out of its box yet....
Any 'newbie' tips before hooking/wiring everything would be appreciated. I know this isnt rocket science but I am a little gunshy.
anihomer.gif

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Johnson: Let me give you the short-answer advice on how to hook everything up.
Put the receiver on the lowest shelf of your rack. Put the units you interact/touch up higher.
Install your receiver. Hook up the speakers and make sure they all make sound. Use 12 ga speaker wire all around. Dual Banana plugs from Radio Shack are recommended. (The ones with the heavy spacer bar and side-holes). The MegaCable ones. Use the TestTone feature to make sure the wireing is correct.
Follow this wireing scheme for each box:
Receiver - Run a long video cable from the MONITOR OUT video jack to the single/yellow video jack on the TV.
Wire up the VCR first: Run Video/Audio to the Video/Audio inputs for VCR on the receiver.
Practice switching the receiver from AM static to the VCR.
DVD
  • SVideo cable directly to TV
  • Buy a VIDEO cable. Connect this between the Coaxial Digital output on the DVD player to the Coaxial Digital input for the DVD on the receiver
  • Get a Video cable and go from the composite (yellow RCA video plug) on the DVD player to the single video input for the DVD on the receiver. (Yes, you are hooking up 2 video feeds from the DVD player)
Practice switching the receiver from VCR to DVD to AM static until the amusement wears off. You see how the entire system can now be run through the receiver?
Pop in your first DVD and start watching for a few minutes. Then, grab that TV remote and switch it's input to see the SVideo signal from the DVD. Toggle back and forth and be amazed at the 20% better picture you get with Svideo.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks