Proper Audio Cables for HDCD & SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Reznik, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Toshiba SD-6200 DVD player that also has HDCD capability. I have a monster digital coax audio cable that connects my DVD player to my Dennon AVR3300. I was told that this was the best for transferring audio from a dvd for movies.
    However, I have recently been reading stuff on-line that said that unless I use an analog audio cable, I will not be getting any of the HDCD quality sound b/c it uses the D/A converter on the Dennon instead of the HDCD decoder on the Toshiba.
    So my question is... should I be using an analog audio cable or should I keep using the digital coax? OR should I use both, use the analog cable for cd listening and the coax for movies?
    Also, what cables to you guys recommend? Most of my cables (interconnects)are monster reference (one step below audiophile which get very pricey)
    And I plan on getting an SACD player eventually, what should I use with that?
    Thanks in advance.
    ------------------

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

You need to use both. Use the digital connection for DVD, and then hook up a pair of analog cables to the CD input on your receiver for playing CD's. Most receivers are not able to decode HDCD, so you lose this benefit using the digital connection.
    Hope this helps.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

When you go SACD or DVD-Audio, you'll need the analog cables connected. You can still use digital coax for CD and DVD (if you get a SACD/DVD combo player). For the best results with SACD and/or DVD-A, I recommend a quality interconnect. I use Silvercats by CatCables between my Sony DVP-S9000ES and receiver for the analog signal. They sound great, and are noticeably better than the cheap "pack-in" cables that came with my gear.
    KJP

4. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

Be sure to compare the analog output of the HDCD decoded signal (using the DVD player's internal DAC) with the digital output, (using the receiver's DAC) using an HDCD encoded disc. I sometimes prefer the sound of an HDCD encoded disc when played through my receiver's DAC (which does not have HDCD decoding).
    God Bless America

5. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

This is a pretty stupid question, but how do I know if a disk is HDCD compatable? Is there a web page that lists what cds are and/or is a good place to go to buy HDCDs?
    ------------------

6. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Mike,
    HDCD encoded CD's have the HDCD symbol on the disc itself. The site your asking about is www.hdcd.com. It tells you about the technology and what discs are encoded.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection