What's new

proof that people are stupid - part 2 (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I started a post a couple of weeks ago about the idiotic behaviour caused by a temporary road block near our house. Briefly - a diversion was put in place routing cars along a separate route; the normal road was blocked barring a narrow, traffic cone-lined section that led onto our housing estate. However, numerous bozos (we reckon about 1 every minute or so) used this route onto the estate either because they didn't read the numerous signs indicating a diversion or they thought the estate residents had priviledged access avoiding the diversion.

Okay, this is where it gets good. They've now taken away the road block, so the road is back to normal. Hence, we would expect the traffic to be moving normally. However, a huge volume of the traffic (we reckon 90%) is still using the diversion. And before you ask: (1) it's slower (especially as a set of traffic lights have been reset so traffic using the old diversion is no longer favoured); and (2) it's absolutely clear as daylight that the road block has been removed.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Heh, there's no pleasing some people, first you complain people don't use the diversion, now you complain that they do? :D

(Just yankin' yer chain...)

I would guess it's "driving on auto-pilot"; I do it all the time in the mornings especially, I just go by the "usual" route to work (rather, first to wife's office to drop her off, then to mine), and if there's a change in routine requiring a change in route, sometimes this doesn't register until it's a bit late...

So all those who still drive via the diversion are probably used to it and automatically take it, without realising it's no longer necessary.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but what about all those people that were trying to be sneaky before. Now its more clear than ever and they switch to the diversion instead? Maybe they just like the idea of figuring out the sneaky way (which in this case didn't work) more than they like to actually get where they are going.

However, if this is what it took for you to realize people in general are idiots, then you don't get out enough Andrew. ;)

I don't mind when people have a mental lapse as long as once they get back on track (assuming they do) that they acknowledge that they went a bit daft for a second. Sadly, that's about as rare as stupidity is common.

I screw up all the time, but when I do I am disappointed and recognize the goof rather than just plowing along ahead as if everything I was doing was correct.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Isn't that the truth... A couple Saturdays ago I was driving to the airport, which is a similar drive to my work. I was yapping with the passenger and of course took the normal route to my work instead of to the aiport. Luckily it was only an extra exit before I gave myself a dope-slap.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Make a big sign that says "Local Traffic Only" or "Special Perfmit Traffic Only" and place it where the traffic used to go. That ought to do it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

:D :D :D

Unfortunately, the Neanderthals are beginning to realise that the route is open once again. A shame, because for a couple of days I enjoyed the empty roads.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
As a descendant of a long line of Neanderthals, I take offense at that remark, and as soon as I find a land bridge to England, I'm going to bash you with my club.

P.S. Cro-Magnons are highly over-rated.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
i miss the "cone art" of England.
The UK is so much ahead of us in the art of Orange Cone Art.
Where in the US We would have 25 or so Orange cones to keep traffic in a lane, the Brits would have 1000s. Tightly placed in great swirls or other great patterns. I surmised that the Queen has the Orange Cone francise ....or else highly bored civil servents.

On Monday I was trying to get to my flight about 4:30am and was trying to get to the freeway. This sounds easy but San Francisco tends to tear down freeways unlike most cities which tends to build freeways. So I make this right hand turn right into barrier....DDDOOOOHHH!!!!
Luckily I hit the brakes in time and do a 270 degree turn and find a real enterence this time.
Just another Stupid person (but most people are at 4:30AM)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks