What's new

proof that Bose's marketing is unequaled: (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You

from forrester research.

ever wonder why your grandma and your co-worker default to bose when you guys talk about audio? check out where Bose is on that.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Interesting, yes. Surprising, no. In the past, most people bought a tv once every ... what? 10 years? 15? If you bought a tv and it lasted that long, chances are you'd stick to that brand as long as the current model looked comparable to other makes in the store. Same for word of mouth. As long as friends and forums still continued to say "brand x is great for reliability" most people don't take the time to research a product. If you asked a bunch of people to assign number rankings to a bunch of brands, without being product specific, the results would have little to do with the truth and everything to do with reputation. Now, that reputation might have some basis in fact, but doesn't have to. That's what those results show. Marketing, reputation and branding is king.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree its just that RCA has had the worst failure record of the major TV manufacturers for years now.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I suppose the only good thing to say about this is that Bose is at its potential, so the only way to go is down ?? :D

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
Because they dont need to.

Why do most pyramid schemes rely on huge marketing and flamboyant 'presentation'.

Bose needs it to keep the suckers rolling in.

Most folks are taken in by the marketing and think it sounds 'OK' unless they hear a proper system.

Would you admit to all your friends you paid 2 grand for a system that sounds crap?

Especially if said friends didnt know any better.

Didnt think so.

Real world experience:

I was flying down to New Mexico about a month ago and the guy in the seat next to me whips out his Bose Quiet Comforts.

Begins to tell me how he thought $350 was alot of cash for some cans but they sounded soooooo good.

Until I let him test drive my Grados and told him they cost $70.

Those that have no clue buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini - those that do buy an Aston Martin.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
When I used to sell HT gear in the early/mid 90s, the Bose reps had installed an Acoustimass system around our demo monitor. We were getting tired of trying to explain differences between them and other (IMO) better brands like JBL, Advent, Infinity, Cerwin-Vega and even many KLHs, and actually our main left/right demo speakers were a pair of JBL's 6.5" woofer LX series. But they weren't sexy small like the Bose were.

Then one day we received a set of new JBLs that were as small as the Bose - YESSSS!

The sats had 3.5" midwoofers and titanium dome tweeters, and there were two small subs, each being pie shaped (looking from above i.e. a quarter of a circle), about a foot high & containing a 5" woofer in a bandpass configuration. And IIRC at that time the Bose AM 2.0 system cost $750(!!) and the JBLs were $550. To help get the truth out, we made the JBLs our main front left/right demo system, connecting them to a switch box where the Bose were also connected.

We quickly lost track of the amount of people we amazed by comparing the Bose to the JBLs. "Amazed" because very few thought the Bose speakers sounded better, even though they cost more.

I doubt it was just *our* little set-up that did this, but I noticed a couple years later that in newer stores the Bose speakers had their own dedicated wall, far away from the other brands. :rolleyes

PeterK

Supporting Actor
lol, here's a crazy thought. why doesn't Bose just MAKE BETTER SPEAKERS! It's not like they don't know how to or don't have the money to do it, and then they actually WOULD have good speakers and still already be wayy on top in the marketing department :emoji_thumbsup: and then "audio people" would acutally buy them also.

I dunno, makes sense to me.

RichardH

Supporting Actor

How would they market them? If they come out w/ something drastically different from their current offerings (which they would have to do in order to make "good" speakers), how are they going to explain how they are so much better than the old models?? That would upset a lot of people. Bose isn't about to pull the curtain back on themselves.... :D

Panther_B

Auditioning
I know my opinions won't be popular but...so what?

I like Bose's marketing.

Yeah that's right! I said it!

1st of all, I know their products suck. That's why I don't buy them. My friends know they suck, because they've listened to better gear playing good recordings. I know, you know, we all know, Bose's speakers suck - but...

Man are they good at selling them. Of all the audio manufactures, Bose is one of the most recognized names. People who don't know crap about audio know about Bose. That's remarkable.

Even better - many of those same people can even tell you the bull***t terms (oops, I mean cutting edge research) Bose uses to make their products better. Now that's marketing at it's best.

The truth is Bose is great at marketing. I'll bet they attract more new customers (people new to high-end audio) every year than most high-end audio companies do in 3 years.

I mean, of all the people we interact with every day, how many of them have heard of SVS, HSU, Paradigm, or B&W? Now mention Bose. I'll bet most of them will know exactly who we're talking about.

Other audio companies should take note.

There are tons of new people willing to spend money on quality audio. Bose proves that every year.

If they stop spending all their time marketing to existing audiophiles and instead sell to new people, then Bose wouldn't have such an easy time. But as it stands now, Bose's competition (you know - all those companies who make better products) have almost no market share, no brand recognition, and no sales compared to Bose.

So don't blame Bose for good marketing (blame them for selling s**ty products). If you want to blame anyone for marketing, blame your fav hi-end speaker company for doing such a bad job marketing their goods.

Later,
Panther

steveBose

Grip
Ok i've been doing my research and was wondering.

My dad wants to buy the Bose Lifestyle system for $4000, i think it is too expensive, but i also think it sounds good. Maybe i'm wrong, i can't necesarily say iv'e listened to anything else. The reason my dad wants to buy the tiny little jewel cube speakers for $4000 is because my mom does'nt want GINORMOUS speakers standing behind our couch. That is the only reason my mom and dad want them, because they go nice with the modern look of our house and that is the way we want to keep it. Could someone please recommend a different system with speakers of relatively similar size. And i don't need that whole bose link crap with a hard drive in the media center (sounds dumb to me anyway). I already have a new HD DVD player so im actually hoping to hear from someone what the best set of speakers (with subwoofer) that are the same size as the bose lifestyle 48 speakers. And then i also need to buy a receiver but we'll worry about that later.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: decor. the really 'uber-class' of audiophiles will probably say don't buy audio equipment based on decor, but the misses is the "real boss" in these situation, so it's quite sad mix of choices. there's just no physical way such a tiny cube can reproduce nice midranges without the presence of a *real* midrange driver. most of the audio you hear is midrange. so what does this mean? don't buy anything at all? stick with speakers that come w/TV? honestly, i dunno. wait for other responses on this.

on the other hand, i'll give you some guidelins about application. have your dad+mom goto the store TOGETHER and bring their fav. music CD/movie DVDs. now have both of them listen to their fav. stuff (the content that they are both most familiar with) on a bose system. then move to the mid-high end and have them listen to content played back on that. it's world's apart =). i think that should conivince mum to give a bit of a leeway to a big larger speakers. it doesn't have to be "ginormous", but it has to meet a bare minimum. some of today's bookshelfs look nice and can handle most of what your parents will need without disturbing the decor much. most of the misunderstandings of the misses always comes in when they aren't part of the buying process. if you included the misses into the shopping process, i beleive they would give a lot of leeway because let's face it, they have better hearing than men do ;).

re: $4,000 can buy you a boatload of REALLY nice hi-fi. there are systems that are geared towards music and some towards movies and some to both.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The paradigm Cinema Series is also an excellent option for small form-factor but high quality speakers.

Bottom line, you can't get around basic physics. Bose pretends to be able to be immune to physics, but they are not. That's why they sound like garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks