Proof readers anyone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bhagi Katbamna, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

That's pathetic, not to mention inexcusable.

3. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

How do you mix up the name Ray with Jones? Mistake? I doubt it.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Man,

That's bad. That's really bad. I just have a feeling this was a Freudian slip.

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Joseph hit it right on. Clearly this was a mistake that any one of us might have made. Should it have been caught? Yes. Should the owner of the company apologize? Of course. Should we be outraged? Give me a break.

Jon

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

The question is, would finding it a little humerous make you a racist?

8. Chris Tinglin

I highly doubt it was a mistake. It's not as if a letter was missing or transposed. It's not close at all. They're supposed to be professionals making PLAQUES fer chrissakes. You might think spelling is something that is checked 40 times over before a name gets engraved. It should (at least) be on a piece of paper right beside the engraver - what, they tend to do these names from memory?! besides which, wouldn't the engraver, upon seeing the name he was to put on, figure he might take 5 mins to double-check with someone. how many odd names like that does he do in a day anyway (no, let's not get into that other thread i started a while back. not the same thing)?

While i agree that it's inexcusable for such a bad "mistake" to get out their doors (my garsh, look who it's supposed to be going to! you might think SOMEBODY in supervision might wanna give it the once-over when finished - afterall, it's not for a garden variety children's soccer tournament), i've been around in corporate life enuff to know that quality checks are, at best, inconsistent.

My best guess is that it was the engraver himself who thought he could get away with a yuk at the expense of someone he strongly dislikes (to put it mildly). I'm quite certain he felt he could shrug his shoulders later and mutter "oops."

Problem is that NO ONE can know for sure except for the engraver himself. While i'm obviously admitting my paranoia and skepticism here, i do get a bit alarmed by a seemingly knee-jerk defense that any one of us would make the same "mistake". i mean, c'maaaan, it's pretty DAMNED suspicious.

9. Chris Tinglin

I highly doubt it was a mistake. It's not as if a letter was missing or transposed. It's not close at all. They're supposed to be professionals making PLAQUES fer chrissakes. You might think spelling is something that is checked 40 times over before a name gets engraved. It should (at least) be on a piece of paper right beside the engraver - what, they tend to do these names from memory?! besides which, wouldn't the engraver, upon seeing the name he was to put on, figure he might take 5 mins to double-check with someone. how many odd names like that does he do in a day anyway (no, let's not get into that other thread i started a while back. not the same thing)?

While i agree that it's inexcusable for such a bad "mistake" to get out their doors (my garsh, look who it's supposed to be going to! you might think SOMEBODY in supervision might wanna give it the once-over when finished - afterall, it's not for a garden variety children's soccer tournament), i've been around in corporate life enuff to know that quality checks are, at best, inconsistent.

My best guess is that it was the engraver himself who thought he could get away with a yuk at the expense of someone he strongly dislikes (to put it mildly). I'm quite certain he felt he could shrug his shoulders later and mutter "oops."

Problem is that NO ONE can know for sure except for the engraver himself. While i'm obviously admitting my paranoia and skepticism here, i do get a bit alarmed by a seemingly knee-jerk defense that any one of us would make the same "mistake". i mean, c'maaaan, it's pretty DAMNED suspicious.

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I agree Chris. Jones and Ray are nowhere near the same name, and if it was a mistake, as I said, it was Freudian slip. But I agree, it seems like too big of a mistake.

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    In another thread someone asked who one of the people in Dave Lambert's signature pic is (a shot from Married with Children.) The guy thought it might be Dave himself. This was one of the replies:

12. Chris Tinglin

ok, joe. i think we'd best agree to disagree on this one before things start to get heated. in my parting reply on this i'd like to say four things:
    1. sorry for the double post above. have no idea how the hell that happened (i couldn't find a way to delete the thing either).
    2. it's no telling tales outta skool to say that anything's possible. hell, OJ and his team of reasonable doubt-generating lawyers can attest to that fact every day. it's possible, from our ignorant vantage point, that three different "engravers" were used, each completely ignorant of what the other had done (or was about to do). it's possible that jedi mind tricks were employed. who knows fer sher? not gonna get into some epistemological harangue, but in the sea of potential variants, we wanna fish out the most reasonable, plausible explanation (given what we "know" [​IMG]).
    3. could we keep our comparisons to the apples-to-apples variety, please? do the keystrokes of an htf poster (concerning a not-so-much-revered al bundy) carry about the same weight as a cash-fer-services professional making a plaque (again, for a MLK celebration fer cryinoutloud)? now, i liked "Married..." as much as the next man, but i don't suspect it's at all the proper comparison.
    some how, some way, you mistakenly got the impression that i believe all mistakes of this kind have some sort of cheeky ulterior motive. i do not. just sayin as far as this "mistake" goes, i believe that there were too many checks missed - given the circumstances as we know them - for this to be cheerfully and casually dismissed as some "typo".
    4. "stupidity" is a lovely excuse to commit anything. it certainly does explain a lotta silly stuff that goes on in the world. annoyingly, it's not the only potential explanation for certain things/events. mebbe that woman's black eye really did come from the knuckles of her husband/boyfriend, and not from a goofy accidental door slam as she nervously claims.
    there will always and forever be "alternate explanations." the occam's razor principle says that in the event of two (or more) competing theories that explain some phenomenon, you go with the one that requires the least assumptions. works really well for us in physical accountings of how the universe works, but not as well in theories explaining human behaviour. you have to thoroughly examine the quality of the assumptions. motives, especially, are a bugger. we too often act in ways contrary to what "logic" might dictate.
    at the end of the day, i believe it is more reasonable to think that there was some kind of serious funny bidniz going on, rather than completely innocent human error.
    and that's all i've got to say about that. now i'm all hot n bothered. i need a slice of watermelon.
    ct
    p.s. evil is as evil does. martin was all about judging a man by the content of his character, and not the colour of his skin. equal (civil) rights and all that rot. i think he'd be ok about being alarmed at apparent wrong-doing. i'm saying that what happened here is most def worthy of being suspicious about and investigating further, as opposed to an immediate assumption of innocence and dismissal. let's not get too liberal in extending it into all kinds of tangential arguments.
    p.p.s. i doubt that finding this amusing is tantamount to racism, but it does call into question your sense of humour. mebbe.

13. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

They did a story about this on Saturday Night Live's News. It was pretty funny. They reported that the engraver said that it was an honest mistake. Then they showed a picture of the supposed engraver. He was holding the plaque up and shrugging his shoulders and he had a KKK robe and hood on.