What's new

ProntoEdit Question... (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I ordered a Pronto TSU1000 a few days ago. After ordering it, I discovered that ProntoEdit only supports Windows. I have an Apple. I really don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars buying a Windows emulation program just for one application.
What will I be missing out on sans ProntoEdit? Will it be worth keeping the unit without it? Or should I just send it back?
Thanks for your help.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Pamela,
Unfortunatly that's the reason to buy a PC or at
least Win Emulation for the Mac... The Pronto will
be nothing more than a glorified "learning" remote
without using Pronto Edit. Pronto Edit is what makes
the Pronto line so powerful, being able to custom
design your own GUI that is "In Depth" yet "easy to
use"
It's up to you whether or not to keep it, you can
always buy the emulation software later, right?
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I believe you will be missing most of the potential functionality of the Pronto without the software. While many of the features are available with the Pronto alone, they are so much more difficult to use.
I would 'unofficially' suggest that you download a pirated windows emulator for your Mac and go to town on Pronto Edit. You can probably find one that is shareware. If not, just use one of the peer-to-peer applications like Morpheus to find what you are looking for. Wait, I'm not sure if any of the peer-to-peer applications run on a Mac either :)
- Jeff

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
I concur. I am a Mac user but I have a PC at home too and on things like this the PC is good to have. It's unfortuntate but that's the way things are.
If you do not use the computer to program the Pronto then you may be better off with one of the cheaper but less flexible remotes, like the Home Theater Master MX-1000.
------------------

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Go to the Pronto discussion forum at www.remotecentral.com for a thread on a cross platform ProntoEdit replacement currently in beta. A Mac version is available. I'm using the Linux version on my laptop and it works great for the most part, and the developer is very responsive. I hope I'm not making too much work for him by referring people. ;-)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like Pronto Edit is a must.
Brett-You're right. I think I will keep it, even if I can't use Pronto Edit right away. Something's bound to work out, even if I have to use a friend's PC in the meantime.
Dave-Thanks for the info. I emailed him immediatley. Sounds promising!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks