What's new

Pronto TSU2000 Remote for Xmas or Which one you recommend? (1 Viewer)

I finally convinced my wife on getting a Universal remote for x-mas. I had in mind the Pronto TSU2000:D
(I hope I don't scew up anything until then...) anyway, what are your thoughts on this remote?
I've been to RemoteCentral.com brousing arround and it seems some people like it, some don't.
Pronto owners - How hard is it to configure it?
Is there other remotes I should be looking at?
Equipment List
65” Proscan HDTV
Denon AVR3802 – Receiver
Denon DVD2800 – DVD player
Paradigm Monitor 7’s – Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC370 – Center
Paradigm ADP170’s – Surrounds
Polk PSW300 – Sub
X-10 lighting controlled
Thinking of picking up a JVC SVHS vcr soon. Not sure on the model yet. Since I'm asking a lot of questions... Which JVC do you guys recommend?
Will the pronto controll all the above equipment?
The HDTV has a built in HD DirecTV receiver. Can it control it as well? I haven't seen any CCF files for the proscan at RemoteCentral.com is there any other web site that I can take a look at.
I think that's all for now...
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations.
LP

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I certainly feel that the pronto or rc5000 is the way to go. Should make for a very merry Christmas.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Luciano,
Good luck staying "good" until Christmas so you can get that universal remote! I'm trying hard to stay "good" with my wife with the hope I might get a couple of nice DVDs. :D
I have the Pronto TSU2000, and I do really like it. I've read lots of posts and have been to remotecentral and have heard of many who do not enjoy this kind of remote, and I really do see why it's not the right remote for some people. That said, I love mine and would only give it up for one with a color screen and more hard buttons. Some people like their remote's buttons to have a tactile feel so they can control them without having to look at the remote. IMO, this is a completely logical desire. I don't mind looking down at the LCD screen so it's not that big of an issue for me, but you may want to consider if this will bother you.
In terms of control, it will control anything that recieves an IR signal. I have all of my components integrated with this remote, plus a Lutron Spacer lighting system, and it works perfectly. If you wish to control RF equipment, I believe the TSU6000 (the color ProntoPro) has some kind of an optional attachment that will allow you to do this. Heck, it may even be possible with the TSU2000, though I'm not sure how that would work.
Configuration: the remote comes with a program called ProntoEdit that you install on your PC. Although you can program into the remote directly, I'd recommend using ProntoEdit as it seems to afford you many more options. I really don't consider it difficult to do, though it can be time-consuming. This is partly due to the large number of ways you can configure your buttons, components, macros, etc. The more automated and fancy you get, the more time you can invest in building an interface that meets your needs.
ProntoEdit allows you to import custom-made bitmaps for buttons, or use default buttons. You use the software to move them around to design your screens, assign actions to them, etc. The program could be flushed out a little more and could be a little more user-friendly, but I've found that once you've used it a little bit, it's really not that hard to build an interface in it.
The upside to the time you invest is that you can create some really cool automation for your theater. I have a macro designed so that with one push of a button, the lights dim, some "theater music" cues, then the movie starts (and of course all inputs are set correctly, etc.).
FYI - Using ProntoEdit doesn't have to be time-consuming if you use the default screens that come with the remote or only make minor changes.
I will say that I don't love the screen contrast options. It seems that no matter what contrast setting I select, the screen is always too light or too dark.
I hope this helps. Happy holidays, and enjoy whatever remote you end up getting!

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
After playing around with the pronto edit, reading reviews, etc., I ended up with the Home Theater Master MX500. It's been perfect for me and my family.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Luciano,

Some people like low tech hard buttons, some people like

high tech touch screens. Which class do you fit in? If you

don't like touch screens then you would be better off with

something from Theater Master or RTI or someone else.

For me it's a no brainer.. I don't like hard button remotes

at all. LCD TouchScreens fit my techie needs and the Pronto

TSU2000 and Pronto Pro TSU6000 are the most powerful remotes

on the planet from a customization stand point. You can sit

back and design the GUI of your dreams and learn practicly

any IR Code on the planet (and if the remote won't learn it

there are always CCF files on RemoteCentral.com that will

solve the problem)

I have the Pronto Pro infact this is my first day with this

remote and I have to say I am in love with it. I find myself

not being able to put it down long enough to recharge the

batteries. All my krusty worthless hard button remotes go

back in the AV Cabinent.

But like I said earlier.. Make sure you know the Pro's and

the Con's of LCD vs. Hard Button before you make a decision.

Know what side of the fence your on, because this is a fairly

pricey purchase (either way)

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
I dont think there really is anything "low tech" about the a hard buttoned remote. Granted that the Pronto Edit is a lot of fun from a techie point of view (only part of the Pronto i liked) but some of the hard button remotes are quite configurable.. If touchscreens are for you then by all means the Pronto is the way to go. If not, the HTM MX500 is a GREAT remote

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I dont think there really is anything "low tech" about the a hard buttoned remote. Granted that the Pronto Edit is a lot of fun from a techie point of view (only part of the Pronto i liked) but some of the hard button remotes are quite configurable.
Well low tech might not be the best description, but certainly not as high tech. Those hard buttons might be somewhat configurable, but you sure as hell can't change their location or size or name to anything you want.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
I spose if I had the color Proto I probably would have liked it better. I found the older one somewhat hard to read. I guess one should try both and see if touchscreen or hardbutton is for them

Chip E

Screenwriter
I'd hardly call the MX-500 "low tech" with hard buttons. I'll be picking up the new MX-700 i think... :emoji_thumbsup:
- Chip

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Someone in NJ is selling a factory sealed Yamaha version of the Pronto in the classified section (I believe, same as Pronto but rebadged with the Yamaha label and some optional preprogrammed Yamaha codes).

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I found the older one somewhat hard to read
Yes, this is my major complaint about the TSU2000 also. Not that it's unreadable by any stretch, but it just seems that no matter how you set the contrast, you don't get a solid set of grayscale colors. Either it's really light so you can read the words (but the colored backgrounds get washed out), or it's dark and the backgrounds look good but you can't read the words (too dark). I still haven't found a good balance!

I'll keep trying until I find the ultimate color LCD remote for me.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Marantz puts out a nice hard button remote, the RC2000mkII. Got mine with my new Marantz AV560U Pre/pro and after programming(15min), put all my other remotes in a drawer. Excellent piece of hardware that will save you some $$ for something else.

Kevin

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
I too had the Marantz RC2000 (still do). I then went to the Pronto then sold the Pronto and back to my Marantz. Im now using the MX500 and the Marantz sits in a box in the garage. I like the MX500 much more than the Marantz. The display is better, the macros are better, the battery life has been WAY better. The size of the remote is better as well. As you can tell, i love the MX500 especially for the price..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks