Pronto Remotes - worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Jan 22, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I am getting a Denon 3801 probably next week (being shipped). Everyone says the Denon remotes suck. Assuming I agree with the general consensus, is a Pronto Remote really worth the money or should I just get a decent $50 universal remote? If you feel it is worth it, why?

Also, what are the cheaper models of prontos?

2. Trent C

Trent C Agent

Eric,

I have a RAV-2000 remote from Yamaha (a Pronto in Yamaha clothing really) and I really like it. I don't know how I got along without for so long! With it I can design things around how I work, not the other way around.

I remember with the "universal" remote for my TV in order to use my VCR I had to press a button to put the remote into "VCR mode", another button to turn the thing on and then another one to play the tape. With the RAV-2000 (Pronto) I can do this with one button press now.

The other thing is that you can design your layouts to incorporate all of the features of the device you want to control. Again with the "universal" remote for my TV, I never had any buttons/control for the slow-mo and frame advance on my VCR.

In fact my RAV-2000 has allowed me to combine 6 remotes into the one.

Heck, a friend of mine was over and saw mine and he ran out and bought one within a week. He said it was "..the ultimate remote.."

If you can find a place that would let you test drive it before purchase, that may help. I know the price can be steep.

Trent

3. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I own two. Just bear in mind that it can take a LOT of time to set one of these up. Not to mention the learning curve on the software. It's not real user friendly at first. Having said that, I wouldn't trade them for anything on the market short of Crestron.

Jim L

4. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

IMO the Pronto is worth every penny. I have to agree with Jim, tweaking it is time consuming and quite addicting. However, once you get the hang of Prontoedit, it is a breeze to modify and improve. Hope this helps.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'd recommend trying the OneForAll Cinmena 7+ first. It's an amazing little remote for only $25 at Sears.

6. Mark O'Donnell

I've gotta vote for the Pronto.
    I have tried numerous remotes including the SONY RM-AV2100 and the Pronto wins hands down in every area from storage, compatibilty, ease of use. There is a large support group for this remote.
    If you get one you have to spend some time planning how you want it to look, and operate. If you have used a Palm Pilot then half of your learning curve is already over.
    Check here. They have the older Pronto in stock and if you call the sales department you can get a price break. I used them in October and got my Pronto for $130.00.
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...853&showcase=t

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Mark! That makes it under my price ceiling. J&R is a good vendor too. I've done business with them before.

8. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I have both the OneforAll Cinema 7 remote recommended here, and a Pronto.

The Cinema 7 will work OK if you have a simple setup (TV, DVD player, receiver - especially if they're "major" brand names). Great value for the price, if you're really budget-constrained. I use it with our simple bedroom system, and it does all the basics.

The Pronto is the ultimate in programming flexibility. I frankly spent a LOT of time first getting my system up and running in my dedicated HT (which is required, unless you can just download the perfect configurations from RemoteCentral that also fit your design aesthetic). I, OTOH, haven't tweaked it at all since, but lots of folks get addicted to the programming and tweaking that you could do with the Pronto.

The thing I love in my HT, thanks to the Pronto:

my lights come up when I open the DVD tray, and go down when it closes and starts to play - so I control my dimmable lights as well as my entire system from one remote, and my wife and kids can work it too, because I have a macro programmed in that requires them to only hit 3 buttons in TOTAL (which includes opening the DVD tray to change DVDs) to get to the start of a movie - and it's all laid out logically for them on the screen.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    I would also recommend the Pronto if you can afford it or if you are inclined to get a Philips VISA card you can accumulate points towards it. I would agree about the learning curve as I am still learning but the flexibility can't be beat.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

11. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

I can't speak to your MD. With respect to my DVD player, the tray open is the last step in a macro to watch a movie. I'll admit it's not absolutely necessary, but it is one less button I have to hit (the physical hard button on the player) and that's kind of the point of having a remote. Additionally, if someone other than me is using the remote the Pronto's on screen instructions tell the user to insert the disk and they don't have to inspect the player to find the right button to open the tray. The continue button on the Pronto then closes the tray, sets the DSP mode, configures the input etc, etc.

Since my VCR is positioned under the TV, I use the eject key so I don't have to bend over and fumble around to find the hard button. Since this hard button is located next to two other keys, sometimes I hit the wrong one. I guess the Alzheimers is catching up with me.

It does make sense (as you point out) to position the eject button well away from any other button on the Pronto screen that you use regularly.

Regards,

Jim L

12. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I just got a pronto from J and R Music World. It was a refurbished 1000 (1st gen), but I got the remote and the charger for $160 shipped.

I love it so far. I neede a backlit remote for my home theater since I need a dark room for my CRT front projector. I even have it set up to control my light dimmer in the room!