What's new

Pronto Remote - Which of one to get? (1 Viewer)

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Hi All,
I am looking for a new remote for my media room/theater. This is what I have priced:
TSU-500 - $169
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...00&showspecs=1
or
TSU-2000 $$219
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...000&SVBName=30
I would like to be able to control 10 devices and have the flexibility of recreating most of my remotes with the software included. Keep in mind that this will be new to me, and I would like my remote to work as much as possible out of the box. My equipment is not fancy, most JVC, Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba.
Since the only remotes I used are the HARD button type,I don't have any experience with these type of LCD remotes. I was hoping some of you who do own these types of remotes, could give me some advice.
My main concerns are:
- How many devices can I control?
- can this remote learn from other remotes?
- Will I be able to recreate a single remote entirely (all buttons and functions)?
- Will this remote work with my TiVO?
- will it work with my digital cable?
- How much programing is it going to take me to get it to work?
- Should I get an extended warranty for this type of remote for 34.00 dollar (2 years).
Thanks for any help you provide..... Just a note, if the LCD type of remote is not for me, then my next choice is the MX-500.
:)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
If you are computer savy then get the TSU 2000. I've had mine for two years now and could not be found dead without it.

I've talked five friends into investing into one of these badboys and they and their wives love it.

You wont regret it.

Checkout remotecentral.com for lots of info and samples.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I can deal with computer with out a problem, I think I am going with the TSU 2000.
Thanks for all the info... and I'm sure I'll be back for help... :)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
If buying the Pronto TSU 2000 be prepared for lots of time programming it. Like others definitely check out remotecentral.com. Spent alot of time there. Try downloading other CCF's and try getting a feel on what layout you want. It was sort of bare setting everything up, but boy once I was done I couldn't imagine using a standard remote. The ability to control any device and set it up the way that I want is incredible.

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I purchased a TSU 2000 and set all the following up using various CCF's I downloaded from Remote Central:

Denon 5800 Receiver
Studio Experience 13HD FPTV
Sony DVP660 DVD Changer
Lutron Light Controller
Velodyne Subwoofer
JVC SVHS VCR

It took me about four hours total time from start to finish, and that included loading the software, reading about the programming, and completing my set-up.

I am good with the computer, but do not by any means consider myself an expert it using computers.

Definitely go to Remote Central and read all the informaiton about setting up the Pronto. It will be time very well spent.

Mike

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
CCF is the file extension for everybody's individual pronto configuration. I'm not sure what it stands for but for example if you created a pronto file and wanted to save and name it William the file would look like william.ccf

I hope this helps

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I am currently looking for the best deal on the TSU2000, I have looked on Ebay and there are a few. Any recommendations?

JordanW

Grip
You can pick up a factory refurbished TSU2000 w/ full manufacturer warranty for $179 + S/H at the following URL:
http://www.dmartstores.com/philprontsu2.html
I just ran across this deal last night, so I do not have any experience with DMart. The next best deal I have found is for a refurbished TSU2000 AND DS1000 charging base/battery for $229 + S/H at AVOutfitters, again with the one year manufacturer warranty.
http://www.avoutfitters.com/catalog/...099%2BDS100099
This will probably be the deal that I end up going with, because AVOutfitters is a reputable company that a few of my friends have ordered products from in the past. Hope this helps out a little.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
- How many devices can I control?
Nearly infinte number...at least more then you'll ever own:)
- can this remote learn from other remotes?
Absolutly...though there are better ways to go about this.
- Will I be able to recreate a single remote entirely (all buttons and functions)?
Yes but you may not want to. Having all functions clutters up the interface so you may want to limit it to common functions and keep the OEM remotes around for tweaking.
- Will this remote work with my TiVO?
No problem...you can even have the station logo's if you desire
- will it work with my digital cable?
Again not a problem
- How much programing is it going to take me to get it to work?
Ah the big question:) Basically this is an open ended question...you can spend a little time and get a "working" unit or spend more time (or $) and have it custom built to suit you and your needs.
- Should I get an extended warranty for this type of remote for 34.00 dollar (2 years).
I wouldn't bother but depending on what it covered it might be ok...ie will they replace a broken screen if you dropped it onto a hard floor?

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I just got a tsu-1000 from fellow HTFer and Im having the worst time ever with pronto edit. I have found that the program is way over my head! I have resorted to manual programming and even that can be taxing. Here is my question does anybody know of a ccf file that has porky pig saying Thats all folks? like at the end of the cartoon. I know it sounds silly but also kinda cool. Also ANY help with programming this thing would be greatly appreciated!!

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Gordon, Maybe I have a different idea about what edit is supposed to do. Basically Im thinking it should let you lay out each screen as YOU want it. I tried ALL day yesterday and I ended up with the same thing....nothing I don't even know where to get started! :frowning:

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Rodney,

First of all, start visiting remotecentral.com with some regularity. There's a files section with over 500 ccf's that you can download - cut and paste to create your own. While there, download the FAQ, helps a lot with the intricacies of Pronto Edit. Also lot's of experts in the forum to help with questions.

Jim L

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I think I was there about 50 times yesterday. I did see all the ccf but I really don't know to do with them! If I cant get it set up soon I may have to resort to getting off my but and walking to the receiver:D Im not very computer literate and I think that's my biggest problem.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
See, this is what I am talking about, struggling to get it to do simple things....:frowning:
I'm sure that this is a lot easier than it looks. Can I donwload the software from the Pronto Website and start playing with it now and then download it to my remote when I get it?

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure that this is a lot easier than it looks. Can I donwload the software from the Pronto Website and start playing with it now and then download it to my remote when I get it?
It is much easier than in looks. I am a newbie just like a lot of people here and just received my very first Pronto TSU2000 on Tuesday. I downloaded ProntoEdit from the web at least a week before I received my remote and familiarized myself with the program. I also had a visual in my head of how I wanted my stuff laid out. I borrowed someone elses CCF and input all my codes for my gear all in just a few hours. I would suggest going to Remote Central and get the Pronto Edit software from the "Files" section. As mentioned read the FAQs! They helped me out a bit too. If you browse around the message board you will also come across a guy with a link bar as his sig. Check out the links he has there... Very good info also! Hope that helps a little. Don't be too intimidated... it's just a remote!! Have fun with it.

Mike

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Rodney,
Let's start from scratch. Here is a quick course on the basics:
1) Open ProntoEdit. Assuming this is a new configuration, the only thing you see on the left hand side are folders for Home, Devices, and Macro Groups
2) From the MenuBar, select "Device->Add Device". Select the device you just added and double-click with the right mouse button. Select "Rename Device" and give the device a name.
3) From the MenuBar, select "Tools->Gallery". A window should popup with 5 items listed on the left -
"buttons", "cursor", "frame", "numeric pad", and "transport". This is the button and frame gallery. As you select each item on the left, notice on the right hand side different graphics elements appear.
4) From the MenuBar, select "Panel->Add Panel". A window that is mostly blank should appear. The only thing in the panel is a black square which is a frame element. If you don't want a frame on your panel, you can just delete it by selecting each element which composes the frame and pressing the "Delete" key.
5) From the buttons and frame gallery, select "buttons". Select a button shape that you want to put on your panel and drag it to the panel. You can place the button anywhere on the panel. Do this for as many buttons as you like. Notice that the currently selected button on your panel is surrounded by a red frame. To move a button, just drag it to the new position. If you get into a situation where you can't seem to select a button, press the "Esc" key to deselect (the red border goes away), then select the button you want.
6) Double-click the button you want to edit. A window pops up with 4 tabs across the top - Action, Properties, Icons, and Colors. In the first tab, Action, click the "Delay" button. This is used to temporarily allow the button to appear when you later run the Pronto Emulator tool. Without a delay or alias, the button will not appear.
Now click the properties tab. In the "Name" field, give your button a name. You can also specify the font size on this tab. Leave the Icons and Colors tab alone for the time being. Repeat step 6 for each button on your panel.
7) Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6, for as many panels as you like. Be sure to give each panel a unique name. Do this by selecting the panel and double-clicking with the right mouse button and selecting "Rename Panel".
8) Now you are ready to test. From the MenuBar, select "Tools->Run Emulator". The emulator pops up and you should see your first device in the device list.
There are other things you can do like turning on a grid to help you place the buttons more accurately, zoom in/out, import graphics images to buttons, using aliases, etc. When you get to that point and can't figure out how, just post here and someone will help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks