What's new

Pronto Questions (1 Viewer)

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
Robert: As far as I know there is no “EDIT” function while on the Home Page. If you have your Home panel in the “Macro” Group then that is a different story. To get you Image to appear you can do two things. Either add a command (a simple delay will do) to the button or change it to a “Frame”. If you E-Mail me your CCF, I would be happy to do it for you.
Sorry for the Second Message. I must have been typing when Rick Replied.
------------------
~Andrew~
~Pronto Programmer~
AIM SN: FFU Productions
ICQ #: 21603991
Home Theater Pictures
Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection
[Edited last by Andrew V on September 08, 2001 at 01:44 PM]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Update:
Problem solved. Thanks to Jay, my CCF file now sports a bitmap with a picture of my HT on the Home page! Thanks, Jay.
Rick said:
Andrew,
My mistake! (Or in the current venacular, "My bad" - I hate that term!) I should have said "LABEL" function. When I activated the LABEL function the graphic would appear on the home page but if I returned to "USE" then it disappeared. Jay changed it to a button for me and everything is now fine.
I appreciate all the help. We now return you to your regular programming.
(Now I can go back to watching the U.S. Open in HDTV on my VW10HT. Unfreakin'believable!!)
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

JohnFR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replys. You guys have been extremely helpful in supplementing what I learned on http://www.remotecentral.com.
quote: True, you can set up the Pronto to be an "everything" machine, but in real life I find that it serves me better as a "master" control center, supplemented with a couple of the remotes that I like to use because of their tactile feel, jog controls, etc.[/quote]
Yea, I think I'll always keep my VL900 close by for channel surfing, etc. I can use the thing blind. There is no substitute for hard buttons for speed of common operations.
I just hope I'm clever and patient enough to program the Pronto so my wife can pick it up and easily watch tv, play a cd, or play a dvd. She got frustrated just the other day when she couldn't set the system for dvd to watch her new "Sex in the City" discs while I was at work. This is not good for the WAF. :)
JR
[Edited last by JohnFR on September 09, 2001 at 06:00 PM]

Mike_P

Agent
I have the Marantz RC5000, which is the 1 meg Pronto in a gold case. I like the charger, which comes with the Marantz. If we put the remote on the charger every couple of weeks, we never have to replace batteries. I haven't had the back off the remote since I got it. Since the 2 meg remote is only about $30 more, I would get it instead of the 1 meg.
Everyone loves to play with the ProntoEdit software, but you can also do a quite a lot with just the remote itself. If you're doing a system that's not too complex, you can start programming with just the remote. I put 5 macros on the macro page, System On, Watch VCR/Cable, Watch TV, Watch DVD, and System Off. System On turns on the equipment, sets the receiver and TV to the VCR, and goes to the Cable box screen. This is because usually we want to watch tv. System Off turns off all the equipment. The other macros setup the receiver and tv for the selected equipment and change to the screen for that gear.
My wife really likes the Pronto. She can run the system quite well with it. I still occassionally make a minor change to the setup. The guys at RemoteCentral helped me with a couple of problems I had in the beginning. They are a real resource.
We went to visit some friends over Labor Day, and they had a Sony 2100 remote. What a pain. His wife can't use it at all. It's hard to read, and you just have to remember what buttons are programmed for, because you can't change them.
There are some things I haven't programmed into the remote on each piece of equipment, but we can use it for 99% of what I want to do. Only once in a great while do I have to get out the original remote.
It is a little bothersome that you can't operate the Pronto without looking at it because it's a touchscreen, but it's easy to use otherwise. We have dropped ours several times on the carpeted family room floor, and it survived. Just don't drop it on a hard floor, the touchscreen is a little fragile.
There is a guy named alpha2data on Ebay that sells Prontos for a reasonable price. He's got a real high rating and is supposed to be a good place to get a Pronto. All in all, I think if you buy one and try it, you'll like it. Just don't try to program a huge, complicated system right away. Start out simple and pick it up a little at a time, and you'll find it's pretty easy.
Good Luck,
Mike P

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I'm only on my like 500th iteration of my CCF. I keep refining it over time. I can't imagine being without it. It has made our media system easy for anyone to use. A single touch switches on source devices, switches reciever input, flips projector and video processor memory. Makes the components act like an integrated system, but it does take a lot of time and patience to build a nice CCF. The beauty is that YOU totally customize it to match your own desires. If you want to change something, you can do it yourself.
As for hard buttons, I got around that by not assigning my buttons in the normal fashion. My bottom two buttons are dedicated as volume controls. The five right side buttons serve as the most common used functions for the device being viewed. For instance, when we're using a TiVo, the oft used Play, FForward, FBack, Channel Up, and Channel Down are the assignments for the five buttons. With DVD, CD, or VCR's I assign them as Play, FForward, FBack, Ch Up, Ch Down. Notice that I've made the transport functions consistent. Less commonly used functions are done on the touch screen. I've found that assigning the five hard buttons this way means that I can control things 90% of the time just by touch. This doesn't match most other people's button assignments, but it solved the lack of hard button problem for us.
I did cover the regular markings on the buttons so people don't get confused.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've found that assigning the five hard buttons this way means that I can control things 90% of the time just by touch.
Again I agree 100%. Pay attention to what you use the most and how, then assign the hard buttons accordingly.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

BrianThatcher

Auditioning
John,
After reading this thread yesterday and finding that the Denon remote that came with my 3802 just added to my woes, I decided that a pronto was in my future.
I searched some earlier threads & decided to buy my TSU2000 on Ebay from user alpha2data. I paid $245 (without charging unit) via paypal and this morning received a UPS tracking number for the package.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks