Pronto Question: Serial Port Coupler?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oswald Pascual, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

My Sony VIAO Laptop does not mate properly with the Pronto TSU-1000 cable. I think the PRONTO is using an RS-232 cable for communications. Both the Pronto cable and my laptop inputs are female! If I get a coupler will this work with my laptop, or is there another option. possible using my USB port? Help Needed... Thanks

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Try the coupler, there has been a lot of discussion over at Remote Central about connecting a Pronto via USB. To sum it up, it is possible, but it was more trouble that it was worth.

3. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Thanks Arthur, I have read that thread at remote central, but I was hoping that someone has tried the coupler thing already to see if it worked. That USB sounds like a pain so I wont bother trying that. I see no other way of programming my remote with my laptop if the coupler does not work. I was just hoping to hear some positive news on the coupler.

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

I have a Compaq 2701US with the same thing, I bought a Keyspan USA-19QW and it worked fine. Just make sure you change the USB port to COM1 or it wont work(at least it didnt with mine). I picked mine up a Comp USA for around 59 bucks. I looked at it as a good investment, if I want to go to a customers house and program there remote, I can use my laptop.