Pronto Pro TSU6000 or the newTSU3000?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ArthurW, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ArthurW

ArthurW Auditioning

I am desperate to buy one of these two remotes and would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions/thoughts...

I'm familiar with the basics of each from the Pronto website, but can't really evaluate if the differences are significant.

For example: (a) transparancy?, (b) the extra hard buttons on the TSU3000 (can they be labelled on the screen, and change function for different screens?), (c) same or different programming software, approach, etc.,

Personal preferences would be helpful. Thanks!

2. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Arthur,

I've had the TSU2000 for about nine months now, and have been pretty happy with it. My one complaint is addressed with the 3000, the lack of a directional pad. Color would be nice, but I really want a hard directional pad.

I haven't played with Pronto Edit - Next Generation (which is for the 3000), but my understanding is that it is different than PE for the older models. I don't really know what the differences are, however.

Hope this helps.

3. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

The new Pronto software is based on the Neo software/file structure. If you read in the ProntoNG forum at remotecentral.com this software has some problems at the moment, although the remote itself is a real step up from the 2000. What would be disturbing to me if I were in the market is that the Neo software (on which the 3000 is based) still has some problems even though it's been out quite some time. I own a Marantz 9200 (color with cursor pad) and can tell you that the cursor pad is a real bonus.

Transparency is nice, but can be worked around with a graphics program on the current remotes. The backlight is "blue" which really means less green and is reportedly better than the 2000. The additional software features (most of which used to be exclusive to the Marantz models) include multiple jumps in a macro (neat - can get crude animation out of this), a jump back or forward function, and several other things.

Jim L

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Does anyone know of an online source for the TSU3000? Remote Central is offering it via a special arrangement with an e-tailer, but a Google search has turned up no one else that actually has the unit for sale. I thought it was released back in December...

5. ArthurW

ArthurW Auditioning

Cameron, Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I too like the idea of a hard button cursor pad.

Is the Marantz 9200 essentially the same as the Pronto Pro TSU6000? I heard that Philips and Marantz are now separate.

Thanks again,

Arthur

6. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Essentially? I'd say yes, but that depends on your definition. I waited for this model to be released, avoiding the temptation to buy a Pro. The reasons were because of the cursor pad, approx 25% more of the screen is user programmable, 3 year warrantee, RF base station is included, and quite a few programming enhancements such as multiple jumps in an action list (enables crude animation) a jump back and jump forward feature. The Marantz does lose the clock, timers and custom beeps that the Pronto's have.

Marantz and Philips are now separate. Marantz is owned by Denon (which offers the, yuk, Aktis). Whether Marantz will continue to offer Pronto clones is unknown. Philips has always built/licensed Pronto's for other manufacturers (Onkyo Chad, and Yamaha RAV) so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jim L

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Hey all, I'm acutally considering replacing my TSU-2000 with a new TSU-3000. It is impossible to make a DVD screen work well on the TSU-2000 because you really cant get a transport and a cursor on the same page if you want room for any other common functions. One thing I'm wondering is after reading around a bit, what is transparency that is refered to on the philips site?

8. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Charles,

Transparency is just like a transparent GIF file. You can make portions of a button or image transparent so that whatever is underneath shows through. Easier to make your CCF look good than before.

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I got my TSU3000 from www.amazon.com

Over the past couple weeks they have had the TSU3000 for $255.00 at least two seperate times. I jumped in on the first offering and have been programming my Pronto for the past week, and I'm still rying to get everything setup right for my system.

It's now $294.00 on amazon's web site - so I would wait and see if it goes on sale again next week sometime.

The software for programming the TSU3000 is still somewhat of a challenge (to me anyway)....but don't let that scare you off. It's worth it for the amount of customizing you can do to truly have a remote control - unlike anyone else's remote out there.

I can answer question (b.)

10. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Just in case anyone is still thinking of buying this remote I ordered one from amazon.com for $245 Thursday. It won't come in until after the holiday. [​IMG]