What's new

Pronto Color vs B&W? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
So, there's a pronto remote that's color and way expensive, and the older black and white one that's more in my price range... but asside from being in color, what's the big differences between the 2? is "just wanting color" enough of a reason to buy the color one? All that I really want is the remote to control everything, have the cool macros where I can make 1 button to do whatever I want. Being in color would be cool but I can't see paying all that extra cash just for some prettier graphics, if that's the only real difference...
So, anyone know the differences between the 2? :)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I used to own a bw pronto and it can do everything you want it to. I believe besides color, it has larger memory and maybe more screen to edit, but I am not sure. You should go over to www.remotecentral.com if you have not been there already. That is by far the best site for remote controls ever. But yeah, IMO you are just paying big bucks for the priveledge of having a really cool color remote.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Marantz has added their line of Prontos (the RC5200, B&W and RC9200 Color) they add a hard button cursor, more editable screen and some additional programming options. They are more expensive than the Philips version, but come with a 3 year warantee.

Jim L

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
OK, I guess it's the B&W one that I'll end up going with. Color would be cool but saving money to get mostly the same thing is cooler :)
But, what about the other brands of Prontos? Like Marantz, and Yamaha.. and doesn't Denon make one too? How do they compare and stuff? Is it all the same software that's compatable too (like if I download icons that someone else made...)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
oh yeah, also.. is the software available for Macintosh? I have a PC now, but I'm planning to replace it with a new Mac in a few months :)

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

Looking at the b&w models. The Marantz, Philips, Yamaha, and Onkyo are pretty much identical except for the Marantz hard button cursor, additional programmable screen, and some programming extras (backwards jumps, and jumps within a macro). The others have a built in code base (which uses memory) that the Marantz does not.

The Denon you mention is the Aktis. It's not a Pronto and based on what I've read, not in the same league.

First, go to remotecentral.com and read the reviews IN DETAIL. Second, understand that regardless of any pictures you may see the b&w remotes actually have an aqua colored backlight. Similar to an old Palm III. Third, if you're looking for a cheap Pronto, J&R is selling TSU1000 refurbs with a 1 year factory warantee for $129 if you call and mention "the flier". There's nothing the 2000 will do (except the code base) that the 1000 won't do. It does have 1/2 the memory, but it's more than enough. I have a 1000, and although I bought a new Marantz 9200, the 1000 lives on upstairs.

As far as Mac software, there is a Pronto software "clone" that people are using called "Tonto", works on many platforms including a Mac. Can't vouch for it personally, but a lot of people use it successfully.

Jim L

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Tim:
One thing to keep in mind. The difference isn't quite as simple as black and white vs. colour.
I think the most important difference is contrast. The contrast of the old "b&w" version is very poor at best. Mainly because it's not really "black and white", but more like "black and deep aqua". 3 shades of gray plus black on a poor backlit screen do not make for good contrast. In addition, the screen is very sensitive to changes in temperature - a few minutes sitting in your warm palm will require the Contrast knob to be adjusted.
By all accounts (I don't have one...yet) the colour model provides far superior contrast. First, the background is in fact white. In addition, the temperature does not seem to affect the contrast levels in the new model.
Personally, I would seriously look at the Marantz model vs. the ProntoPro. The addition of hard cursor keys on the Marantz make it a clear winner. You get a double-whammy: hard cursor keys that can be controlled by feel alone (no need to bring up the display), but also the added screen real estate, since you longer need to have graphics for the cursor control. Makes the Marantz a clear winner in my books. :)
/Jeff

Gord S

Auditioning
Jim,

A quick question for you. Does the Marantz RC9200 that you got come with the RF extender or is it an accessory to be purchased separately? Marantz's web site has no information about the 9200 other than it won some design award at this year's CES.

Tim,

FYI, one other thing that the color Pronto/Marantz has is the ability to transmit RF signals. It appears to me to be pretty useful if you are using a second zone. I'll be using it for some patio speakers myself.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
ok, what's an RF signal? :)
I just want something to control all of my components in 1 remote, and make 1-button macros that will switch everything all around for me easily. I had a radio shack 6 in 1 remote that a lot of folks recomended for cost vs features but I didn't care for it too much.. I just use it to change the channel on cable now and that's about it.. so what I think I want is something with all the features that the pronto has.. but is the marantz version that much better? and, the marantz is just a clone of the black and white pronto but with some extras, right?

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure others around here will disagree, but my opinion is that unless you're willing to spend a LOT of time customizing the Pronto with ProntoEdit, you will be much happier buying something else. I have a Pronto TSU2000 and I absolutely love it, but straight out of the box it was the most cumbersome, unusable remote I've ever had in my hand. EVERY device has six or more screens and the layout on these screens seems designed to maximize the number of screen changes you have to make to accomplish the simplest of tasks.
After spending probably 60 hours working on my custom Pronto setup I got something that for 90% of the necessary tasks is very easy to use and has greatly simplified my home theater. (I still have some work to do with the lesser used functions.) For me, the time spent programming the Pronto has been well worth it. Your mileage may vary.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
yeah, I've heard that before about the time it takes to program and edit it and all.. but I'm into that sort of thing.. it would be a fun little hobby kind of thing for me, in fact even after it's "done" I'm sure I'll still tweak it all the time, cuz I'm never satisfied :) I've rearanged the layout of my whole HT at least 10 times in the last year or so, and I'm planning to again soon :p

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Gord,
The RF extender is included with the remote. Lot of misconceptions about this though, it is really an IR extender. It transmits the IR code, using RF, to the RX-77 base unit. The RX-77 in turn transmits IR to your equipment. It does this as an IR Blaster, and/or through those little IR emitters that you can stick on the equipments IR windows. It has NO, repeat NO ability to control RF devices, only uses Rf to communicate to the base station. There are no universal remotes that can learn RF. There is info on the Marantz site, you just have to dig for it.
The Marantz is a clone of the Pronto but with ALOT of extras. This includes extra cost as well.
Anyone who's interested in the 5200 or 9200, send me a private email. I'm not a dealer and will make no profit on any transaction.
Whoever said it takes alot of time ain't lyin'. It's become a second wife, and the 1st one isn't happy. On the other hand, if she was I'd be worried. ;)
Regards,
Jim L

Gord S

Auditioning
Tim,
What Jim said is entirely true. The 9200 will send out an RF signal (radio frequency-ie will work farther away, up to around 100 feet, will go through walls and does not need line of sight), the extender (a small receiver/transmitter) will then convert the RF signal to an IR one and transmit the IR back out. It is as if you were sitting at the extender position with the remote yourself. In my situation, for example, I have a three zone pre/pro, with two of the zones being used elsewhere. With this, I can control the volume, change tracks/inputs, etc. from the other zones with the Pronto/Marantz without having to go to the room where my equipment is setup.
Jim,
I will be contacting you shortly. With the current value of the Canadian Lire, the price is astonomical here right now.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks