What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
promising-young-woman-1024x683.jpg

Cassie Thomas (Carey Mulligan) has an odd hobby: going to bars, appearing to be fall-down drunk, and luring men to take her home. When they do, she reveals her sobriety and doles out personal justice, graded on how badly they acted. Cassie dropped out of Med School after the rape and suicide of her best friend, Nina, and that incident has caused her to float about, landing her as a barista and plotting a life of fantasy revenge. When Cassie reconnects with an old Med School chum Ryan (Bo Burnham), she starts to re-enter the real world and she falls hard for him. Elements from both their past resurface, threatening to tear down everything they know.

Promising Young Woman (2020)

Released: 25 Dec 2020
Rated: R
Runtime: 113 min

Director: Emerald Fennell
Genre: Crime...

Continue reading...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the review, Sam. I'm looking forward to seeing this film. It should be noted that while there's been no 4K disc release, it is available in 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos from several streaming services.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree completely with Sam's review. The video is striking, and the audio is almost flawless for this type of film. The scene outside the opening sequence's club perfectly captured what it sounds like to be outside a way-too-loud bar. The transitions to and from the diegetic music was expertly done (basically from the surrounds to the fronts). Dialogue was well placed and and always clear. My sub got quite the work out.

I tried watching a bit of it with my receiver upscaling the DTS 7.1 to DTS Neural X, and there was actually a bit of decent atmospheric effect pushed to my height speakers (the hospital scenes in particular actually sounded like a hospital).

The movie was great, too. Carey Mulligan is always excellent and she shines in this. Director Emerald Fennell shows a keen eye for framing. I dare say she's on my short list for best director (besting even David Fincher's outing in Mank). The highlight sequence for me was the one with Cassie on her bed with the laptop slide show fading in and out, the screen's light pulsing. Shades of David Lynch and Nicolas Refn.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Had the chance to watch this with a small group a few days ago.

Extremely entertaining film. We all enjoyed the film immensely and the Blu-ray looked extraordinary.

Would highly recommend this film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks