What's new

3D Prometheus (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo) available for preorder on Amazon with FREE Movie Ticke (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sure makes it sound like there will be a double-dip extended version in the future.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I thought this WAS an extended edition, to be honest. I thought I remembered someone saying Charlie was working on one, but I could be making that up. It might have been wishful thinking on my part, ha :)
EDIT: No, Ridley Scott apparently said it in June, according to articles from the time. He said it would be 20 to 30 minutes longer. So maybe he just meant that all that footage would be in the deleted scenes?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
MattAlbie60 said:
I thought this WAS an extended edition, to be honest. I thought I remembered someone saying Charlie was working on one, but I could be making that up. It might have been wishful thinking on my part, ha :)
EDIT: No, Ridley Scott apparently said it in June, according to articles from the time. He said it would be 20 to 30 minutes longer. So maybe he just meant that all that footage would be in the deleted scenes?
See, this is what I mean. I heard the same thing (about the 30-minute loner version), then it was debunked but not officially, etc.. There's just an air of mystery surrounding this release.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I'm completely fine with this explanation regarding Ridley Scott's director's cut:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/08/fox-wanted-extended-prometheus-blu-ray-ridley-scott-said-no/
If he is completely happen with the PROMETHEUS we got, that's fine. Am I? No. But that's a completely different matter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm surprised we haven't had a HTF review yet.
Anyway the 7.1 track is great. The pq is perfect as far as I can tell.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
I'm surprised we haven't had a HTF review yet.

Oh?

Fox does not ship early screeners -- or at least not
as early as the other studios do.

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
I watched the 3D blu ray tonight in my theatre - the disc is really good, and replicates the theatrical experience very well. I actually like this better on second viewing.
Is it perfect? Not at all.
Do I like it as much as ALIEN? No way - ALIEN was a totally unique experience for me at age 22, with what was at the time hitherto unseen state-of-the-art effects wedded to a dark and compelling story (as opposed to 77's STAR WARS).
NOTHING will ever grab me again visuals-wise these days the way that film did. I'll always have a real special bond to it.
But this captures the vibe pretty well, and the only real disappointment I have on second viewing is that the continuity is broken by the engineer leaving the ship to attack Rapace, so either it isn't the ship they later find (and it sure seems like they're setting it up to be otherwise) or it's just a huge goof-up - I'll assume the former I guess. In a lot of ways it kind of just is a remake of ALIEN.
I can always get into a good 3D film just for the effect, and this is very well made in that regard, up there with AVATAR and HUGO, and one of the top 5 3D Blu rays I have.
Great film? No.
All I hoped it would be.? No.
But happily, I can enjoy it pretty well just the same. Still think it's smarter and better-made than most of the glop that passes for genre films these days.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It's not the same planet as in Alien and it's not supposed to be the same ship.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I finally got to see this film. I'll go out on a limb and say its probably the best science fiction film of the last 20 years or so. I really enjoyed it, and Prometheus will go on to my list of favorite films. Not as good as Alien, but surely much better than any of the other films in the Alien franchise.
Doug

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll go out on a limb and say its probably the best science fiction film of the last 20 years or so.
Sorry Doug, you knew this had to be inevitable. :)
Gattaca (1997)
The Matrix (1999)
Children of Men (2006)
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)
Inception (2010)
The Fifth Element (1997)
Source Code (2011)
Moon (2009)
Serenity (2005)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
Star Trek (2009)
Contact (1997)
Donnie Darko (2001)
The Fountain (2006)
Twelve Monkeys (1995)
V for Vendetta (2005)
I would offer up any of the above as a counter to that statement.
- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would certainly consider at least eight of the films in Walter's list easily superior to Prometheus.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree. My opinion is that Prometheus is one of the least notable SF movies of the past 20 years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
I agree. My opinion is that Prometheus is one of the least notable SF movies of the past 20 years

Doug,

Couldn't agree more.

One of the biggest letdowns of the past year.

The more I think about the film and discuss it with others, the
more I dislike it.

I expected better from Ridley Scott.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
dpippel said:
I agree. My opinion is that Prometheus is one of the least notable SF movies of the past 20 years.
Oh yes, I finally caught up with it last night (borrowed the DVD from my local library) & what a disappointment! I thought the film was flat & boring & downright tedious, & the cinematography was only so-so. The publicity had you thinking this was some sort of major event, a lot of people must have gone to the cinema with very high hopes...& come out a feeling a bit deflated.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
My opinion is that Prometheus is one of the least notable SF movies of the past 20 years.
I think you're forgetting some painful sci-fi memories of the last 2 decades. I don't think Prometheus is a GREAT movie but taking a cursory look at a list of sci-fi movies on Wikipedia, I think it's easily better than:
Alien 3
Universal Soldier
Demoliton Man
The Meteor Man
Robocop 3
Time Cop
Congo
Johnny Mnemonic
Judge Dredd
Tank Girl
Viruosity
Water World
The Island Of Dr Moreau
The Postman
Godzilla
Lost In Space
Soldier
Wing Commander
The 6th Day
Battlefield Earth
Hollow Man
Mission To Mars
Red Planet
Supernova
The Adventures Of Pluto Nash
Resident Evil
Rollerball
The Time Machine
Hulk
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines
Alien Vs. Predator
I, Robot
Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
The Stepford Wives
Aeon Flux
Doom
Fantastic Four
The Island
Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem
Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
Resident Evil: Extinction
Transformers
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Death Race
The Happening
Terminator: Salvation
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Tron Legacy
Green Lantern
Transformers: Dark Of The Moon
John Carter
And that leaves out low/no budget movies & direct-to-video dreck (it's really studio movies only) and it's limited to what I've seen. Once again, Prometheus might not be a great movie but there's been alot worse in the last 20 years.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, I think we'll have agree to differ on this. There's some great movies on that list & the ones I've seen I much prefer to Prometheus, even the bad ones are a lot more fun. Nothing really happends to just over half way through, the worms bit, & that's a curiously flat scene. Every character is underwritten, the science is looney tunes, the motivation is, I dunno. I'd forgive all this is the film was fun, but it's not, it's a drag, well I thought so. Every movie has its fans, my little film collection is chock-a-block with guilty pleasures.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I always think it's an odd argument when one tries to make a point by saying, well there sure was a lot worse that this one.
Prometheus wasn't great but at least it want as bad as Plan 9 from outer space..

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
I always think it's an odd argument when one tries to make a point by saying, well there sure was a lot worse that this one.
Prometheus wasn't great but at least it want as bad as Plan 9 from outer space..
That wasn't what I said though. Doug said that Prometheus was one of the least notable sci-fi movies of the last 20 years so he is comparing Prometheus to the rest of the sci-fi movies of the last 2 decades. I responded to that comparison by listing more than 50 movies that I thought were worse (to varying degrees) than Prometheus. By pointing out that many titles, I think it refutes the idea that Prometheus is one of the least notable sci-fi movies of the last 20 years.
For what it's worth, I agree with nearly every title on Walter's list as being better than Prometheus as well.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm with my namesake Doug. I absolutely loved PROMETHEUS and found it gripping, thrilling and brilliantly made. At the end I felt like turning to the people around me and saying "Wasn't that GREAT!" Probably a good job I didn't though, judging from some reactions here. :D
For a bad science fiction film, look at LOOPER.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I enjoyed the movie in 3D IMAX and when I watched it at home but it feels empty.
It didn't feel likeit had any weight to me. No impact.
The full size alien coming out of the engineer just leaves me thinking somebody forgot to check how those things are um, born.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks