What's new

Prometheus (2012) (1 Viewer)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Greg*go said:
I agree. If I was asked, is this a prequel, I'd say no. I think the problem what is the definition of a prequel? For me, it's 2 things:
2: The events in the "prequel" have a direct impact which lead up to the events in the original.
edit: Plus we have the Director saying it's not a prequel. So there's that.
Unless the Aliens in Alien were not created in any way by the black goo from Prometheus, then this is a Prequel.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by RobertR /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-contains-spoilers/450#post_3940209
Those points are spot on.

Yes they are, unfortunately.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I would agree those are questions to which we do not have answers. Some of them do not make sense. Some are just silly for the only sake of being a joke in a youtube video. We don't need all of those answered. Should there be a big sign on the side of the engineers building that says "Please read below if you are a traveler from another planet that gives to date details of this instalation and the full history of our species". Obviously not. They found an alien instalation, they determined what they could, but they don't have all the answers, so therefore netiher do we. Some people would argue that this is a movie and for it to be coherant for the average movie goer a lot of obviouse answers need to be fully explained. I don't fall into that category though. Sometimes I wish I could work on one of these movies and just say "hey, this doesn't make sense, it's that obvious" or "this is just plain dumb, remove it".
After the last week there are some things that don't make sense, or rather, just didn't feel right with the picture.
And a co-worker reminded me of something I was wrong about. That xenomorph at the end of the movie couldn't of been the first, because in the urn room there was a sculpture of one on the wall.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Don't forget (as most people and press reporters usually do) that theaters get to keep a portion of the ticket sales, so the studio does not reap the entire box office gross. A worldwide gross of $300 million would only send about $175 million back to Fox.
This is partly why profitability in Hollywood is such a moving target. The two "rules" of profitability that I've heard over the years are:
  • Old School: A film should gross twice the amount spent on production/marketing to be considered successful.
  • New School: With the growth of the international market, that domestic North American grosses should equal the production/marketing costs. Then the international grosses will push the film into profitability.
Saw the film today and had also noted many of the lapses in logic and apparent flaws that have already been noted here. But I still had a decent time (despite the fact that the theater lights came on with about 20 minutes remaining in the film) and will add this to my collection when released on blu-ray.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Heh...
2dh6K.jpg

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This film's still got some legs - it made another 10 mil over the weekend, which isn't bad for the third week. Still, it was bested by another cartoon by $56 million! I think the sequel should be animated - it'll pull in big numbers guaranteed, regardless of quality.

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
The engineers are ... us. The engineer har created them selves all over, through terraforming. They ... us ...have reached the final step in the evolution. Like the shark and the alligator, evolution is complete for this "race". Thats why the engineers looks the same, when they create life on earth and millions of years later.
That explains the look of the engineers ... us. "We" have peaked, reached our physical climax and this is represented as the look of the "greek gods" mythology, as we know them and with a face made by Michelangelo. We have grown, 2½ meter and our bodies are proportional larger.
Why should they? Perhaps the ingeneers er heading for extinction as a race? Perhaps their genetics has been "worn out", mutated or otherwise damaged? Perhaps they have problems reproducing them selves and terraforming was a way to "start again". Perhaps they thought, they could control evolution of "the next generation". Go further from where they have "stopped".
Isn't that the motto of Weyland Yutani?
Building Better Worlds!

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
The engineers are ... us. The engineer has created them selves all over, through terraforming. They ... us ...have reached the final step in the evolution. Like the shark and the alligator, evolution is complete for this "race". Thats why the engineers looks the same, when they create life on earth and millions of years later. That's why the DNA showed identical! We only differ in evolution.
That explains the look of the engineers ... us. "We" have peaked, reached our physical climax and this is represented as the look of the "greek gods" mythology, as we know them and with a face made by Michelangelo. We have grown, 2½ meter and our bodies are proportional larger.
Why should they? Perhaps the ingeneers are heading for extinction as a race? Perhaps their genetics has been "worn out", mutated or otherwise damaged? Perhaps they have problems reproducing them selves and terraforming was a way to "start over again".
Or perhaps they just thought, they could "get further" and control evolution of "the next generation", by guiding us. Perhaps Jesus was chosen to be our "guide"? The "middleman" pointing us in the right direction?
And how about the irony of the Weyland Yutani motto?
Building Better Worlds!
Weyland, human version 1 .... building robot David version 8, and the engineers, human version 2 .... building human version 1 .... directors cut?

Real Name
Dan
Flemming.K said:
The engineers are ... us. The engineer has created them selves all over, through terraforming. They ... us ...have reached the final step in the evolution. Like the shark and the alligator, evolution is complete for this "race". Thats why the engineers looks the same, when they create life on earth and millions of years later. That's why the DNA showed identical! We only differ in evolution.
Why should they? Perhaps the ingeneers are heading for extinction as a race? Perhaps their genetics has been "worn out", mutated or otherwise damaged? Perhaps they have problems reproducing them selves and terraforming was a way to "start over again".
Or perhaps they just thought, they could "get further" and control evolution of "the next generation", by guiding us. Perhaps Jesus was chosen to be our "guide"? The "middleman" pointing us in the right direction?
And how about the irony of the Weyland Yutani motto?
Building Better Worlds!
Weyland, human version 1 .... building robot David version 8, and the engineers, human version 2 .... building human version 1 .... directors cut?
Terrible spoiler and something that was very disappointing to know.
I cannot for the love of me figure out why Ridley agreed to that script it must be old age.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Prometheus 7/10 - Mostly for the visuals
The inevitable director's cut will make a difference with this movie. As it stands the theatrical version of Prometheus feels like a 3.5 hour movie cut down to 2.
This movie falls apart because the actions of the characters... Make.... No.... Sense.
And that is because none of the character motivations are laid out for us to understand and more importantly, empathize with.
Fully expect much of the material cut has to do with character moments. Did we ever understand on any consistent basis what was driving the characters in Prometheus? Take the actions of the Captain and the remaining crew at the end. Those scenes carried no emotional weight at all, it felt like they were heading to the nearest carwash.
David is a prime example. Given the history of the Alien franchise and the pivotal role the androids have played in the other films, establishing David's motivations should not be optional but mandatory. Contrast that with how Bishop was handled in Aliens. In a SF movie, and especially in an Alien universe movie, the parameters under which any AI is operating have to be established. Are they restricted by Asimov's 3 Rules of Robotics? Or not? If not, where are their motivations or programming derived from? In Aliens, Bishop's operating parameters were established clearly and economically.
With David we never know. It is one thing to be coy. It is another to generate confusion when one should be striving for clarity.
Visually the movie looks pretty spectacular. But Prometheus is an indicator that Ridley Scott is on a continuing downward slide. He no longer has the werewithwal to go to the wall for his films. Here it is obvious he let the story suffer so he could play with the tech. Mayhap the director's cut will alleviate many of the faults of theatrical release but Scott should never have let this version of the film be released in this condition.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
So will the upcoming home video release feature a Director's Cut or not? There's talk on Blu-ray.com that it will just be the Theatrical version. Until there's an official press release I won't throw any hissy fits but I can see how Fox would want to milk the cow as much as possible by double dipping with multiple releases. With the film presumably due to hit Blu in a couple of months there wouldn't seem to be much time to produce a whole lot of extras, let alone a longer cut. There should of been some official news by now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought all indications from Ridley Scott were that the theatrical version was his final, Director's cut? Hard to believe, based on the film I saw at the theater, that that's what I've read.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I thought all indications from Ridley Scott were that the theatrical version was his final, Director's cut? Hard to believe, based on the film I saw at the theater, that that's what I've read.
Maybe it'll be a Lord Of The Rings situation where the theatrical cut is the director's cut but there's also an extended cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks