What's new

Prometheus (2012) (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-contains-spoilers/360#post_3937953

Why would they confirm all of our expectations that way, when it isn't supposed to be the same?
Because this is about telling a story, not about "confirming expectations."
Like I said a few pages back, this isn't an episode of Murder She Wrote, where Angela Lansbury gives a tidy 60 second monologue at the end that explains who really dunnit. This is supposed to be something new, original and thought provoking. If all the answers were conveniently given in this one movie, then I would have been truly disappointed and not still intrigued by it days after seeing it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The point of my post that Prometheus was number 2 at the box office was more about the surprise that an animated feature beat it because I didn't realize how popular it is. And Dave Miller above reminded me of the hunger for G rated material for the kids right now.
As far as the $50 million, if that's considered good for an R rated film, then great. Because I'd hate to see this film fail. Such high expectations these days from studios makes it hard to seem like you had a success even though a film makes a lot of money! If a certain dollar amount isn't reached it could end the franchise. (like Superman Returns which did well, but didn't hit the dollar target ) Seems rather silly, as long you cover your costs and make a small profit, Bob's your uncle! Seems the expected dollar amounts might be inflated that they expect to earn the first weekend! And i realize movies like these are expensive to make.
And I too and still mulling the film days after seeing it. That's a great thing, all the questions and all the symbolism in the film was great.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that Prometheus was released a week in advance in the UK.
So far it has already made about 150 million combined between Europe and here. I'd expect it to make about another 50-100 million in box office, and then another few hundred million in DVD sales. The real question is if this will be enough for them to want to make any more. If the number is on the high end, I'd say yes. Time will tell.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
The point of my post that Prometheus was number 2 at the box office was more about the surprise that an animated feature beat it because I didn't realize how popular it is. And Dave Miller above reminded me of the hunger for G rated material for the kids right now.
Another thing that always gives kids movies a boost over movies aimed at teens or adults is that the adult accompanying the kids has to buy a ticket too.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm beyond thrilled that there's going to be a DC of PROMETHEUS. Maybe the extra scenes will help to flesh out the story and add a bit more depth. I hate that studios force cuts on movies just so that theaters can add more showings thus make more money. Why don't they release TWO cuts of the film to theaters and let people decide which one they want to watch? Hell, they might even make more money from people who saw one version and are curious about the longer cut and want to check it out. Those with ADD and someplace else to be can watch the short version, while true fans (and there are many) will go to the DC version. There are plenty of megaplexes with enough screens to show both versions.
It's amazing how much money cartoons make, even mediocre one like Madagascar 3. NEVER go up against a cartoon. Still, 50 million isn't bad. Makes you woner how much more money the film would've made without competition.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Still, 50 million isn't bad. Makes you woner how much more money the film would've made without competition.
Might not have been that much more. I don't really see Prometheus and Madagascar in direct competition with each other. Not like the parents are just going to take the kids to Prometheus if there is no animated offering that weekend. They both had their built in audiences, it's just that Madagascar's was a little bigger.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm beyond thrilled that there's going to be a DC of PROMETHEUS.
My friend at work who saw the rough cut a few days ago
was disappointed with the final cut and all that was missing.
One scene, according to him, were voices that seemed to
emanate from the giant head in the temple as the canisters
began oozing.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
WillG said:
Still, 50 million isn't bad. Makes you woner how much more money the film would've made without competition.
Might not have been that much more. I don't really see Prometheus and Madagascar in direct competition with each other. Not like the parents are just going to take the kids to Prometheus if there is no animated offering that weekend. They both had their built in audiences, it's just that Madagascar's was a little bigger.
How about a "parents/adults-only" weekend? Poppa can take a little break, find a babysitter and check out the movie evrybody's talking about. I'd say the final tally for PROMETHEUS could've been about $10 million higher, at least.
voices that seemed to emanate
Another "Lindelof/Lost" touch. Maybe the spaceship the humans were on crashed, everybody died and all the madness was just the crew not being able to let go of their lives :D

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by Coressel /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-contains-spoilers/360#post_3937955
Because this is about telling a story, not about "confirming expectations."
Like I said a few pages back, this isn't an episode of Murder She Wrote, where Angela Lansbury gives a tidy 60 second monologue at the end that explains who really dunnit. This is supposed to be something new, original and thought provoking. If all the answers were conveniently given in this one movie, then I would have been truly disappointed and not still intrigued by it days after seeing it.
Well that's pretty much my point. If it is about telling a story, and not confirming expectations, then why did 99% of the story confirm expectations, only to throw a 1% in there to say "oh by the way, this isn't the same story"?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Kevin, looks like Prometheus isn't hurting at all right now! :)
That's true both Madagascar and Prometheus has their own specific audience.
Glad to hear the Blu ray/DVD will have extended cuts. I actually read that on the Wikipedia entry. Looking forward to October.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I watched the Ridley Scott interview. It worked intermittently but I was able to hear what he was saying both about the movie and the deleted material.

I got the impression he's very happy with the movie as it is. To him, the theatrical cut is his director's cut. I recall him saying the same about ALIEN when he had the chance to recut it for DVD in 2003. His comment then was that he was adjusting the movie to his current sensibilities but that he was still happy with the original 1979 version of it. (I have tended to just watch the 1979 cut and view the deleted scenes separately.)

It definitely sounds like he will generate a longer cut for the Blu-ray, but he isn't totally sure what will be in the cut and what will be in a separate menu for deleted material. He definitely likes the idea of being able to have viewers go to a menu to see the additional scenes without having to disrupt the flow of the movie.

The one deleted scene that was specified was a fight scene between Shaw and the Engineer, where she apparently stuns him with the axe before introducing him to the "big fella in the lab". Scott pulled that out because he felt that it diminished the Engineer, who is much bigger and stronger than the humans, if Shaw can get away with konging him on the head. For Scott, it worked better to just have Shaw open the door and say "Guess who's coming to dinner!"

The deleted material I want to see would need to flesh out what they were finding in the installation and how they were reacting to it.

Ridley Scott has also indicated that he'd want a sequel to take Shaw and David to the homeworld.

There was a great question brought up in that video clip of the two guys asking questions BTW.

WHY does the star map that shows up in all the heiroglyphics, the one that points the humans where to go in space, actually just take them to a weapons installation and not to the homeworld? Isn't that a bit counterintuitive? And if they've left all these star maps on Earth saying essentially, "Come and visit", why the heck is the Engineer so angry at them for coming?

When I saw the previews, I had hoped this would have been a scenario of the humans thinking this is an invitation and the Engineers seeing human spaceflight as an invitation for them to conquer or annihilate. (Under that scenario, the Engineers wouldn't have been creators, but only explorers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!
I didn't know he was developing a Blade Runner sequel.
I guess Scott has said before in the past the theatrical cut is the final cut and I hear what he's saying as a commercial cut verse a artistic cut, or directors cut. It seemed like he didn't want to say one was better then the other as he was saying he was playing business man too and I'm sure beholden to the studio. I'm looking forward to the extra 20 minutes!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Alien DC is ignorable in my opinion. While its nice to have some deleted bits back in (IE: the fight between Ripley and Lambert), the nest scene at the end pushes it into non-canon territory, unlike the Aliens SE.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I always thought of that scene as representing an alternate biological pathway that these organisms can use if cut off from the hive.
A perfect organism with the potential to perpetuate itself when there is no queen around to lay more eggs. The alien cocoons a victim and they mutate into a face hugger egg, which can then become another alien, maybe even a new queen who could then produce her own eggs.
At least that's the way I reconcile that scene.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-contains-spoilers/390#post_3938340
The alien cocoons a victim and they mutate into a face hugger egg, which can then become another alien, maybe even a new queen who could then produce her own eggs.
That's what I've always thought too. It also adds more depth in Aliens when Ripley says "You can't help them... they're being cocooned just like the rest of them..."
She's seen first hand the power of alien poop.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I always thought of that scene as representing an alternate biological pathway that these organisms can use if cut off from the hive.
A perfect organism with the potential to perpetuate itself when there is no queen around to lay more eggs. The alien cocoons a victim and they mutate into a face hugger egg, which can then become another alien, maybe even a new queen who could then produce her own eggs.
At least that's the way I reconcile that scene.
I never really bought into that aspect of the lifecycle. The idea that the Alien could convert one lifeform into another always crossed my suspension of disbelief threshold.
Although, admittedly, now that we know of the Alien's relationship with the Black Slime, it changes things to some degree (although I still find the idea of changing a human into a egg to be suspect)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks